A question about ro/di units

kyarnkid

I found a system I wanted on the net, its a typhoon 2 from airwaterandice.com. The unit looks good but I have never hooked one of these things up. I have seen alot of post that say its easy, but really how easy is it. What is thew waste water I keep hearing about and also its a 100 gpd I do not want that much I just want enough to fill my tank and to keep it toped off.
How do I stop if from going over two much water? Does the new water run out of the faucet or does it run off into a trash can or something? What is a float valve and what is a shut off vavle? Is their anything else I need to know about?
Thanks

javatech

i have the 100gpd unit and it works great get the bigest one you can. you don't have to use 100 gpd it will just be faster than a smaller one.the float switch go's in your sump if you want it to keep your water up i don't do that i fill up five gal jug's for top off water.your waste water can go down what ever drain you want. mine is in my cold basement so i mix in some hot water to make the water 75 deg. the colder the water the slower it go's but don't go over 85 deg.
with the one your looking at when you shut off the output valve it will shut off the input water after a min or two
and take a look her it has a lot of good info
http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/faq/faq.htm

shmeeb

wow, that is quite a setup. i'm also looking to get a RO unit, i was looking at kents. any opinions on those? and are the Hi-S maxxima units worth the extra cost over the regular TFC units?

hnf2k

hey javatech i have the same unit as you(per your recommendation), why do you have hot water hookup?

javatech

i have it hooked up to the hot for the winter time i shut it off in the summer time it mixes a bit of hot in with the cold to make it 75 deg with out the hot it is 55 deg and anything lower than 70 it will run slower a lot slower