Acropora color?

pbuck

I bought a light purple acropora and it is not very purple at all. It is more of a beige or skin color than anything. It has just recently began to change from white (when I got it) to a light brown color. The other day I made a frag from it and when I had it out of the tank for a short time I was able to notice a slight hint of purple on the very tips of the coral. I was wondering if it will change to purple or if I am stuck with a light brown acro?

pbuck

I have had it for about 2 weeks. I just got finished looking at garf.org and they had quite a few sps that had colors resembling mine. They said the corals got their color after a month or so in their aquarium. I guess I will wait for a few more weeks before I start to worry. Also, I just got back from my LFS and he gave me a montipora frag for $10 and it looks somewhat similar.

q

Lighting and water quality make a difference in the color of sps. I am not saying that your water is bad but that different chemistry occures in each tank thus adding varibles. If it is getting brown then I would be looking at getting the sps a bit more light.
I have had an acro take 3 months to adjust to a tank switch though. So it is really to early to tell.

pbuck

I agree that it takes some time to adjust to new tanks. I have had a so so MH bulb that is 6 months old and am changing to a VHO with URI bulbs. I really think the colors will be brought out more when I switch.

q

Probably, I just changed to a 10K from a 14K one month ago and am starting to notice better color.

pbuck

I have been using a 12000k MH Sunburst bulb. I have decided that it loses its color after it has been on for about 6 hours. It is a completely different color in the first few hours than when the lights are ready to turn off. I am switching to an Icecap 660 with 2 super actinics and 2 50/50's. I will soon add another pair of VHOs to make my watts per gallon 10:1. According to www.garf.org that is what they ultimately strive to keep sps under. They also reccomend the bulbs that I am going to use. So, I am very anxious to see what kind of results this change will bring.

q

I would keep the 250W MH and use a 10K bulb and add some VHO. That would rock as long as you can keep the heat down on a 45 gallon.
My 75 has 2 175W MH and 4 110W VHO. Shrooms to acro are growing. Just gotta let stuff adjust and place it correctly.