Acrylic cleaning advise?

ratrod

My display tank is a 252g acrylic, I like it, but a person really has to be careful not to scratch it when cleaning the algea of the front. I dont really trust the mag float cleaner anymore its to easy to get a piece of coraline algea trapped inbetween the magnet and acrylic and scratch the acrylic. The long handle scraper I have works OK but its a lot of work and has to be down often. My tank seems to grow green corline algea on the front real fast. I do have a lot of daylight exposure which I cant really do anything about, the flip side is the coral growth great. Any suggestions on making it easier

praisethel

I stick my hand in my tank almost every day with a scrubby pad that is just for acrylic tanks. It's a hassle for sure, but only takes a few minutes. Feed, clean skimmer, top off water, and clean off algea is my daily routine. I know how to have a good time......

ratrod

Thats the thing, if I let in go for a couple of days its really bad because the algea gets rock hard. I made the stand so the center of the tank hits you at eye level, so when I scrape I have to stand on a chair to gain any leverage

shogun323

My LFS uses the strongest Mag Float and places an acrylic scrubbing pad between the inside half and the acrylic. Seems to work well for them.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by shogun323
My LFS uses the strongest Mag Float and places an acrylic scrubbing pad between the inside half and the acrylic. Seems to work well for them.

That is a good idea, I will try that as well

My tank sits on a Wine Server that is about 4 ft high so I have to use a step ladder, one of the small sturdy kind, I love it since I can get to different heights.

praisethel

That idea is good. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to wedge a piece of scubby between the magnets tonight. I'm glad I came back to this thread today!