Adult Bamboo Shark

juniors04

Hello guys i went to my LFS store today and saw a Adult Bamboo cat shark around 2 feet long. He has no more black bands. I have a 300 gallon tank 8 feet long. Was wondering if that would be big enough? The shark was not priced because the owner was not there. Whats a Fair price for one of these guys?

spanko

How wide is the tank? My understanding is that the shark needs to be able to turn and the tank should be at least as wide as the shark is long. This is why circular tanks are better for sharks. I could be wrong here let's see what others say too.

juniors04

My tank dimensions are 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, 2 1/2 feet tall. he may be 2 feet thats what my guess was could be smaller but im positive its atleast a foot and a half. So how do these guys do in the home aquarium? Do these kind of fish get ich? Are they agressive towards Angels, Tangs, Butterflys, or wrasses?

littlej2455

I have a marbled cat shark and he is about 17 inches long. I paid $200 for him. He is great with tangs and other fish. Could be aggressive during feeding times though. I have mine in a 125.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by juniors04
http:///forum/post/3097269
Hello guys i went to my LFS store today and saw a Adult Bamboo cat shark around 2 feet long. He has no more black bands. I have a 300 gallon tank 8 feet long. Was wondering if that would be big enough? The shark was not priced because the owner was not there. Whats a Fair price for one of these guys?
You said adult... Does he still have its coloration? Do you know how old he is?

juniors04

Im not sure how old he is, I believe the juves have black bands, He is one solid color its like a brownish greyish color.

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/3097362
My tank dimensions are 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, 2 1/2 feet tall. he may be 2 feet thats what my guess was could be smaller but im positive its atleast a foot and a half. So how do these guys do in the home aquarium? Do these kind of fish get ich? Are they agressive towards Angels, Tangs, Butterflys, or wrasses?
Yes they can get Ich, however they present a unique problem as none of their fins are clear, you usually can't tell till you have a nasty full blown case and even then their rough skin makes it hard to see. You also can't use copper as a treatment, only hypo.
Usually it's the other way around, you have to be careful with the other the shark. Tangs make good tankmates, but angels and depending on which wrasse you have, make bad choices because they often pick at the shark, usually the eyes, mistaking it for something else. Nobody wants a blind shark.
Seeing as how your aquarium is only 2 feet wide, I would suggest against purchasing him. He is already @ or near 2 feet long himself, and will only grow larger, probably reaching a bit over 3 feet, 3 and a half.

littlej2455

http:///forum/post/3097464
Im not sure how old he is, I believe the juves have black bands, He is one solid color its like a brownish greyish color.
Yeah they out grow there color. I have had mine for over a year now and mine still has its colors. (I think mine is almost 2 years old) I know they live up to 9-10 years, so you might wanna check. I dont want you to spend $150 on a fish that is 6+ years old and you wont have it for a long time. You know? Did you take a picture of it?

jp30338

Originally Posted by littlej2455
http:///forum/post/3097379
I have a marbled cat shark and he is about 17 inches long. I paid $200 for him. He is great with tangs and other fish. Could be aggressive during feeding times though. I have mine in a 125.
Your giving advice when you have a 17" shark in a 125g?? Wow!

juniors04

AquaKnight;3097492 said:
Yes they can get Ich, however they present a unique problem as none of their fins are clear, you usually can't tell till you have a nasty full blown case and even then their rough skin makes it hard to see. You also can't use copper as a treatment, only hypo.
Usually it's the other way around, you have to be careful with the other the shark. Tangs make good tankmates, but angels and depending on which wrasse you have, make bad choices because they often pick at the shark, usually the eyes, mistaking it for something else. Nobody wants a blind shark.
Seeing as how your aquarium is only 2 feet wide, I would suggest against purchasing him. He is already @ or near 2 feet long himself, and will only grow larger, probably reaching a bit over 3 feet, 3 and a half.[/QUOTE
I have a XL French Angel and a Annularis Angel. I was thinking my Harlequin Tusk might pick on him? So basically im better off getting a baby one.

juniors04

http:///forum/post/3097495
Yeah they out grow there color. I have had mine for over a year now and mine still has its colors. (I think mine is almost 2 years old) I know they live up to 9-10 years, so you might wanna check. I dont want you to spend $150 on a fish that is 6+ years old and you wont have it for a long time. You know? Did you take a picture of it?
Yeah that would suck! dont want a shark thats ready to die soon. Nah i didnt take my camera with me.

jp30338

http:///forum/post/3097928
I am just keeping it for a while for a buddy of mine. he is getting a larger tank soon and it is going into a 300g. Thanks though!
Right....And last month you had your shark for over a year...

crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/3097891
I have a XL French Angel and a Annularis Angel. I was thinking my Harlequin Tusk might pick on him? So basically im better off getting a baby one.
No. You are better off not getting one at all. A baby shark needs to be housed in a smaller tank until it is an established eater. A baby shark in a 300 will get lost due to hiding all the time and will probably die from being picked on.
Angels puffers and triggers dont make good tankmates for a shark. Your tank is a big tank for fish that dont get 2 feet in length. They can turn easy. Everytime your shark will turn it will hit its head or tail. Just not cool.
Sharks need a 8 foot or longer and at least a 4 foot wide tank. It doesnt need to be deep. Hence the petting ponds at aquariums.

rlong729

Hello
I am posting to the jp30338 comments....i know this was posted awhile ago but it was kinda bugging me i spent alot of hours with that species of shark in there natural habitat and they only get about 2' long a 125 is 6'the long and we r talking about a shark that spends his whole life on the sand bed doing, well nothing. So for someone to put him into a 125 is not unreasonable its like some people putting a snake into a 125 or a 55 or a bird in a little cage, but i will never do that personal i would recommend using a customized 9 foot tank with it being 3 feet wide with a good protein skimmer and hardly not livemaking rock just inu the sumpsand or fuge and very low lighting cause they are very sensitive and good water flow sorry if i steped on any ones toes but i am in the water alot studding these types of sharks as my job thank you :hi: