martinc909

Anyone ever have these kinds of birds.
Where could I get one?
I live in california.
How much would I be willing to spend?
Pros&Cons.
Thanks

poniegirl

We had the (pleasure?) of babysitting an African Gray, Sparky, for a friend who was having troubles. He wanted to give us the bird, but, sweet as the bird was, I just couldn't.
Be willing to spend at least $500.00 (this was the price 7 years ago) for the bird. The cage can be that much again, they need a large cage, very strong.
Know that you are making a VERY long term commitment to an animal that will become very attatched to you. I can't remember life expectancy of hand, but at least 20+ years.
When I said we babysat, I meant it. He was like a two year old. And he learned words and phrases VERY quickly. Fortunately, the worst he learned from us was "NO, Bonnie!" We had just gotten a puppy.
They require daily fresh foods, fruits and veggies. They require a lot of attention, or they will become terrors. They are pretty messy, too. I scraped grape peels off my hardwood floor and wall twice a day.
Great joys if they have everything they need.

tnt

I've never had a grey, but I currently have a nanday conure. If you have never had a bird before, please do lots of research first. As PonieGirl said, they are a long term commitment. They need lots of attention, a proper diet and cage, and need lots of toys and stimulation. A bored bird is a disaster. Birds are also extremely messy. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just be sure a bird is for you. I rescued my nanday from an unfit home. I love him to death and he is very cuddly. I know there are other bird parents on here so maybe someone can give you specifics on greys.

chill1

I have had alot of birds . africans are great there is alot of information you need to know first. Like saltwater tanks.Im new at them I read and read but there is so much . birds are a little easier. are you single have kids or what? Ever bird I have had has been a one person bird so be careful around kids .I had a triton cockatoo that took a bite out of my wifes face. Im not saying the bird want have something to do with somebody else but its main focus will be on you.it could turn on anybody else at any time . Africans live about 60 to 80 years so it is a long time investment.Just be sure thats what you want . If you have any guestions just ask I will be glad to help. Love birds

king4345

We have one and she is a trip she picks everything up including calling the cats and dogs. They need alot of attention and are very messy. They can eat what you eat as well as bird seed. We got her given to us and the cages run about 200.00 to 300.00 check on line.

bellanavis

I have a male Eclectus, he talks more then my 2 year old, is not that messy, very loveable, and very nice colors. Just don't get a female, I have been told that they are mean.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
I have a male Eclectus, he talks more then my 2 year old, is not that messy, very loveable, and very nice colors. Just don't get a female, I have been told that they are mean.
Agree on the female issue. Males are much more sociable, especially when not paired with a female.
Flip side is that males are much more noisy.

geridoc

Think about this...an African Grey parrot is like having a 3 year old ADHD child armed with a chainsaw - for 50 years. you have to cook for them, pay attention to them every day (forget vacations), clean up after them, and watch your language around them since they always learn the cuss that just slipped out one time. If this doesn't deter you, and you feel you can make such a long term commitment, you shouldn't have to buy one. Lots of people have made the same mistake you may be making, and have had to give up their birds to rescue organizations. These rescues will usually give a bird to a good home for free, or for a small fee. You can find rescues near you with Google. Remember, though, the "free" bird will require a $300-500 cage, $20-50 worth of toys each month, and an equal amount of pellets. Replacement cost of furniture, wall and window moldings, wall paper and occasional emergency room visits (some for you to have bites closed, some for the bird, since they do get sick) will vary depending on how expensive your valuables are.

bellanavis

The only time my male eclectus is really loud, is if I sleep in too late, and don't get his food and fresh water to him when he wants it, and the one time he hurt his beek, he was stuck, and he wanted help, he sure was loud then, but otherwise, hes ok.

dina12

We had one. His name was Poco....really a cool bird - he talked like there was no tomarrow. He use to hang upside down in his cage...I thought it would be cute to teach him to scream everytime he hung....big mistake. He would drink my Husband's coffee in the morning, share his plate of eggs, eat chicken wings, loved pizza.....then I had our first child.....the baby was 3 days old - I had him on the couch changing his diaper and the bird dive bombed him....we got rid of him that night :-(

skyman

My best friend has one. They talk all the time and will pick up any noise they hear not just words. The Microwave chime, popcorn popping, cell phone ringers and Oh yea my friend had a few lizards and they feed them crickets so the bird picked up on the chirp that crickets make and let me tell you how annoying it is to here that all night long. So one time he went on vacation for two weeks and I thought of this great idea. Put midget ---- in the vcr and play it after about two hours the African Grey started to sound like a ---- star. My friend was pissed it took over two years for that bird to stop moaning like a ---- star.

imurnamine

Originally Posted by skyman
My best friend has one. They talk all the time and will pick up any noise they hear not just words. The Microwave chime, popcorn popping, cell phone ringers and Oh yea my friend had a few lizards and they feed them crickets so the bird picked up on the chirp that crickets make and let me tell you how annoying it is to here that all night long. So one time he went on vacation for two weeks and I thought of this great idea. Put midget ---- in the vcr and play it after about two hours the African Grey started to sound like a ---- star. My friend was pissed it took over two years for that bird to stop moaning like a ---- star.

Wow, how mature of you.

martinc909

Well I've had many birds
Cockatiels
Lovebirds
Finches
Parakeets.
I had a pair of Cockatiels that gave chicks. Only one got to be able to come out of the nest box. Big Mistake( I had him handfeeding for about 2 months, and on one hot July afternoon I was handfeeding him on my table with a syringe and the poor guy chocked).
I've always been good with birds, but the problem is now to find one and CA$H.
I know my family wouldn't have a problem with me with an AGP.

cjml

Originally Posted by tnt
I've never had a grey, but I currently have a nanday conure. If you have never had a bird before, please do lots of research first. As PonieGirl said, they are a long term commitment. They need lots of attention, a proper diet and cage, and need lots of toys and stimulation. A bored bird is a disaster. Birds are also extremely messy. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just be sure a bird is for you. I rescued my nanday from an unfit home. I love him to death and he is very cuddly. I know there are other bird parents on here so maybe someone can give you specifics on greys.
Here is my boy-we also rescued him-hes about 20-have had him for over 12 yeras and we love him-and he needs attention and love! He is very interactive with us and knows his family well. Definitely a commitment-- he is a member of the family! And yes he can be messy! :happyfish :happyfish

imurnamine

When I used to work at the North Alabama Cat and Bird Vet. Clinic, we had a resident African Grey.
She was the SMARTEST thing. Fletcher was really a smart bird.
The only thing bad about her was that she was SO messy and her upkeep was expensive. Also, she stressed easily and pulled out a lot of feathers.

tnt

Originally Posted by cjml
Here is my boy-we also rescued him-hes about 20-have had him for over 12 yeras and we love him-and he needs attention and love! He is very interactive with us and knows his family well. Definitely a commitment-- he is a member of the family! And yes he can be messy! :happyfish :happyfish

OK, I know I'm hijacking but... CJML, does your nanday talk at all? I haven't tried teaching ours yet, but I've thought about it. Also, is his beak overgrown or is it just the pic? I've never had that problem with any of my birds, just wondering what you do about it. Our nanday doesn't like to file his beak on anything but his perch. Here's Bogie.
Also, martinc909, just remember that a grey will be much louder, messier, and require more expensive care than any of your previous birds. But I've met quite a few awesome greys. They seem so smart.