Aggressive Coral Beauty?

mario

I started my 37 gal about 3 months ago and since then I lost 5 Ocellaris Clownfish and 2 Royal Grammas.
In my mind I always blamed the water but all my tests are fine, I religiously change 5 gals every Tuesday and I recently purchased a refractometer so I know also my salinity is fine (1.025). Temperature is a little high (81.5 to 82.5) but no fluctuations.
I took the last dead Ocellaris to the LFS and I have been told that the fins were ripped and the only other fish in the tank is a Coral Beauty.
In all honesty I didn’t give a serious look at the dead fishes before disposing of them so I can’t confirm that but the one analyzed by the LFS showed some sign of fights.
I never thought of the CB as an aggressive fish but I have to admit he has been in the tank from day 1 and he never showed any problem with my water.
I never witnessed any fight but the CB hangs mainly in the area behind the live rocks so he could have decided that’s his kingdom or the fights just happened at night?
So….. could this guy be the “killer”?
If so should I get rid of him or chose his companions accordingly? I really like the fish.
Who could share a 37 gal with an aggressive/killer CB? What about a Maroon?
Damsel is another option but I read horrible stories about these little guys turning nasty and impossible to catch.

tiluhill

Try turning the lights out, moving the rocks around so he does not feel like he is in his "kingdom," and introduce the new fish all at the same time. That could help.

mario

Originally Posted by tank watch
throw a yellow tang in there for a while...
:hilarious :hilarious

sepulatian

CB's can be bold, they can be shy. I have heard both. Mine is the boss of the tank and gladly tells my percula clown "where to go". I agree with Tiluhill, take him out then rearange the rockwork and introduce him back in with the others. Don't wory, they arn't agressive killers. Were the clowns babies? Good luck to you!

debbie

I have a coral beauty with my two clowns and all is fine. I added the coral beauty last and recently. He seems to be fine. When you get a new fish or two, take the coral beauty out, rearrange your rocks add the new fish in then the coral beauty. Sometimes this works, mine has never shown any aggression at all. They are lovley fish indeed.
Good luck.....