aggressive yellow tang

latinlord

I have a yellow tang that hates other tangs... So far he has killed off a hippo blue and a powderbrown tang.... both of which he tormented till they got ICK and died...
Is it possible to put in any other tangs? I was thinking about getting a blonde naso tang... but am affraid he will pick on him too... The blond naso tang I think has a different body structure than the other two weaker ones, plus the blonde naso is harder and probibly would withstand the yellows torment better.
What do you guys think?? Would it work? Is it better to get a bigger tang?

coralreefer

weel, yellows have been known to be agressive to newcomers, at least mine is. but ive never heard of it killing another one. what size tank is it? that would add a huge factor into the equation

latinlord

150... he didn't kill them outright... but i think helped cause them to get ick... which killed them... it was a motivating factor i think that caused the other two fishes' death... powderbrown and hippoblue i heard are not that hardy of a fish.. and the constant torment of the yellow tang messed with them a little much..

littlej2455

Originally Posted by latinlord http:///forum/post/3090895
I have a yellow tang that hates other tangs... So far he has killed off a hippo blue and a powderbrown tang.... both of which he tormented till they got ICK and died...
Is it possible to put in any other tangs? I was thinking about getting a blonde naso tang... but am affraid he will pick on him too... The blond naso tang I think has a different body structure than the other two weaker ones, plus the blonde naso is harder and probibly would withstand the yellows torment better.
What do you guys think?? Would it work? Is it better to get a bigger tang?
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/362044/interesting-way-to-introduce-a-new-tang

rdub62

yeah yellow tangs are known for being more aggressive if they are already in the tank. mine is a little aggressive toward my angel but i think amount of grazing material plays a big role in that...
but only thing that worked for a close friend of mine who was trying to add a powder blue to a tank with a yellow tang in it was by using a mirror.
but good luck...

latinlord

i put a mirror on the left side of the tank out side... should i actually put a mirror in the water??
my yellow tang doesn't notice the mirror really.. although im' not sure if he does or not... the puffer is too busy playing with the mirror. haha

rdub62

my friend claims to have done the following...
locate where in the tank the yellow is...had his brother hold the mirror in the tank facing the tang. while he acclimated the powder blue...
i'd say if you do put it in the tank get some help so someone is at least watching and making sure your puffer or anything else does not nip at the mirror.

latinlord

oh...yea... i did that months ago... this all happened MONTHS ago... treated and the ich is gone.. everyone had it for a little bit.. but there has bene no signs for months...

sanchoy

If you have quarantine tank..
-remove current yellow tang
-introduce new tang (after he has settled down 3-5 days)
-reintroduce yellow tang
this worked for me when i had aggressive tangs

latinlord

i have a friend who could probibly hold on to the yellow tang in his QT.. I use it from time to time... that is an idea... although it will be a pain in the butt to catch the yellow tang and take him out of the tank..

crypt keeper

how big is the yellow tang? If its that garessive see if you can find a replacment home. Some fish are more aggressive than others. IMo 1 fish isnt worth the lives of other fish or your hard earned money.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by latinlord
http:///forum/post/3091110
i just measured the tang... it around 4inches... decent size... that is an idea...
No if you wanted to use the mirror you would need to flash up the mirror whenever the yang is being aggressive. I just taped a picture up of a tang on my tank and it worked wonders.

I had this problem with a yellow tang at one point I would wake up to dead fish and to find them with cut marks and bloody.

latinlord

how big is your picture?? should i make it bigger than the size of my tang?? i'm looking on google now for pics to print out

littlej2455

Originally Posted by latinlord
http:///forum/post/3091216
how big is your picture?? should i make it bigger than the size of my tang?? i'm looking on google now for pics to print out
http://secamarinelife.com.au/catalog...low%20Tang.jpg
This is the one I printed out. It was a little bit larger than my purple tang. So something a little larger and not obvious a yellow tang because that is what you are trying to scare. Try a purple tang because they have the same body shape.

latinlord

yea he freaked out... although... i would have to move the fish pic around to pretend like it is swimming near the yellow tang... it was funny... the yellow tang got alll agitated and swam all over.. haha