ahhhh its back!

trigger40

Try posting the pics. Ich usually attaches and doesn't move around. Please describe in detail what you are seeing.
the spots will fall off and then be replaced by the next day. the snapper has three odd shaped spots on its pectoral fin that are a little bit bigger than the other fishes spots. so far today the snapper is the only one who has something wrong with it. but every one is very active and doesnot scratch except the snapper.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Odd shaped makes me think that what your fish have is lymphocystis. Take a look at some examples posted in the Disease pics stickered top of the Disease Forum. Let me know if you think that is what you are seeing.

You could also begin a course of copper treatment while continuing with the hypo. Cupramine made by Seachem is the better choice of cooper. You will need to use their compatible copper test kit.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Cupramine.html

trigger40

well if its lynphocystis i will just let it be. also can i use the copper in the DT because that is where i am doing the hypo treatment.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
well if its lynphocystis i will just let it be. also can i use the copper in the DT because that is where i am doing the hypo treatment.
No, you can't.

So, you'll have to stick with just hypo. Extending the treatment. Are you using a refractometer that measures both salinity and ppt? If so, post your exact reading for both. Did you calibrate the refractometer per instructions before using?

trigger40

i do not have a refractometer. my lfs doesnt sell them so i am stuck with a hydrometer. i put ro water in there to see what the reading is so i can see how far off it is then i mesure salinity that way(i also stick a pencil in there to knock the bubbles). so i can tell you the salinity is slightly below 1.009 but above 1.008(14ppt). i am starting to think what the snapper has is not ich. the spots have been their for a few days and are moving farther away from each other. no other fish has shown any sings of ich for a few days except the snapper. it scratches all the time and has thoes spots.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
i do not have a refractometer. my lfs doesnt sell them so i am stuck with a hydrometer. i put ro water in there to see what the reading is so i can see how far off it is then i mesure salinity that way(i also stick a pencil in there to knock the bubbles). so i can tell you the salinity is slightly below 1.009 but above 1.008(14ppt). i am starting to think what the snapper has is not ich. the spots have been their for a few days and are moving farther away from each other. no other fish has shown any sings of ich for a few days except the snapper. it scratches all the time and has thoes spots.
That will explain the failure with hypo. Precision is essential with this procedure and using a hydro is often not good enough. Many online fish stores sell affordable refracts. What is the brand of your hydro? What type of hydro is it?

Without a quality picture I can't really help much in determining what your snapper has. Ich parasites don't move around, but new parasites can appear while older parasites can drop off.

trigger40

That will explain the failure with hypo. Precision is essential with this procedure and using a hydro is often not good enough. Many online fish stores sell affordable refracts. What is the brand of your hydro? What type of hydro is it?

Without a quality picture I can't really help much in determining what your snapper has. Ich parasites don't move around, but new parasites can appear while older parasites can drop off.
my hydrometer is instant ocean and its the swining arm type. i will do my best to get a picture tonight but i can hardly look at it with my own eyes because he moves so fast but i will do my best.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, but swing arms are the worst for accurate measurement of salinity.....thus hypo failure. Can you get a refract online? Otherwise, hypo treatment is going to ineffective.

trigger40

mi tried to get a picture of the snapper but my camera is not good so i will do my best to identify it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
See if you can get a floating hydrometer at your local store. They're a bit better for measuring salinity than the swing arm. In the meantime, see if you can get the refract. Fish will be fine in hypo for a bit longer then expected.

What you want to look for is a refract that is ATC (automatic temperature compensation). Designed to test salt water. And measures both salinity (ppt- parts per thousand) and specific gravity. Shop around for a good price, but at aquarium stores they run about $50 with sometimes a deal at around $40. This is a good instrument to have for a hobbyist in order to improve the water quality that your fish is exposed to. Especially if you plan to go reef in the future.

trigger40

well this is the thing now. every single day my snapper grows more aggressive and bigger so he may get to a point that he may eat my triggers. this fish also eats the most out of every one in the tank. so i am thinking about finding a new home for him and the blenny. they just cause issues. so once thoes two fish are gone i would like to put my three fish that i have left in my qt and do copper. it just seems easyer and i already have copper. so if i do copper and let the DT sit empty for a few months thats fine with me and will take about the same time time as hypo. i will also get to save a few extera bucks by not buying a refract. but the cheap way is not always the best so what is your opinion on this is.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you should use a swing arm hydrometer. They have proven to be highly unreliable in accurate measurements. The glass hydrometer does much better and are cheap.

Are you prepared to always use cooper on your fish to treat ich? If the answer is yes, then you have your own answer.