Algae, Good or Bad

ejensen

My algae is growing thick. I don't have any snails and I don't plan on getting them because I just don't want any. My over flow box is covered with this suff and it is starting to grow long. Atleast my Yellow Tang always look like he has a full stomach and has something to graze on all day. Is there any bad about this?

beaslbob

I like it :D
If the choice is algae or no algae. definately algae. What ever you do do not add cleaner crews and just get rid of that algae. Be sure to replace that algae with plant life of some type.
if you want to reduce or eliminate the algae then add some macros or marine plants. And protect those as they cost a little more than your free plant life(the algaes).

ejensen

I like my algae. So all I'm going to get is more crabs. I figure that it is some sort of plant life. Taking up nitrates. I'm not sure if it is the algae or if it is from my protein skimmer(it isn't one of those expensive types but does work pretty good) but my nitrates are close to zero. You can hardly tell with the test kit. It stays brite yellow. Thats the color or zero. I feed my fish every day and it never goes up. I know it is right because my other tank shows atleast 20.

beaslbob

Originally posted by ejensen
I like my algae. So all I'm going to get is more crabs. I figure that it is some sort of plant life. Taking up nitrates. I'm not sure if it is the algae or if it is from my protein skimmer(it isn't one of those expensive types but does work pretty good) but my nitrates are close to zero. You can hardly tell with the test kit. It stays brite yellow. Thats the color or zero. I feed my fish every day and it never goes up. I know it is right because my other tank shows atleast 20.

even without the skimmer nitrAtes would be 0.0.
the only difference would be you would have more algae is all.
What you are doing is exactly the advice given to establishing salt tanks when I first started back in the late 70's. Works great. Just let the algae grow on the back and keep the front cleaned off for viewing.
But add turbos and clean all that off. Bingo. nitrAtes and all sorts of problems.
Press on and don't look back.

broomer5

ejensen
If you like algae growing in your tank - that's fine.
I would suggest that you keep any hair algae growing in your inner overflow box well trimmed back - at least if its growing in your U tube. This can restrict the flow through the tube in a big way, same as algae growing in beween the inner box slotted teeth can restrict flow too.
I have some algae growth in my inner box as well - but I keep an eye on it and don't let it get out of hand.

beaslbob

agreed. Keep the overflow clear. You might even want to add a float switch in case the overflow gets restricted. to turn off the pump before a flood while you are on vacation.

ejensen

Beaslbob,
What do you mean this could have been you? Do you mean with out this algae that could happen to me or do you mean this is what is going to happen?
Well to tell you more about my tank. I did this salt water thing a few years back with nothing but problems. All from my LFS advice. Too many fish and too little filtration. Adding too many fish too fast. I was using under graval filter, one hang on filter and no live rock. I was a FISH KILLER. Now I have a nice wet/dry with skimmer, LS and LR. No major problems yet. (Knock on wood) I haven't lost any fish and they are doing fine.
This is the filter I an useing. Has anybody used this or have any comments about it.

ejensen

Thanks for the advise. My over flow doesnt have much growing inside it and if it does I sure will clean it off. I don't have to worry about it overflowing my tank because I tested it if something would happen. I have only enough water in my sump to fill the tank to the rim.

beaslbob

Originally posted by ejensen
Beaslbob,
What do you mean this could have been you? Do you mean with out this algae that could happen to me or do you mean this is what is going to happen?

Several people starting systems have reported problems and almost each and every on is not doing what you are doing. Not allowing the algae to grow and not establishing plant life.
Well to tell you more about my tank. I did this salt water thing a few years back with nothing but problems. All from my LFS advice. Too many fish and too little filtration. Adding too many fish too fast. I was using under graval filter, one hang on filter and no live rock. I was a FISH KILLER. Now I have a nice wet/dry with skimmer, LS and LR. No major problems yet. (Knock on wood) I haven't lost any fish and they are doing fine.

Understand understand. In my system i added macros. And only added macros and the fish started living. I also had a UGF system years ago. Ran for 6 years in one location with fish that spawned and lived for 4 years.
You also are letting the plant life grow. Just as I have found out in my current system. And just as I let the algae grow on that tank so many years ago.
This is the filter I an useing. Has anybody used this or have any comments about it.

I don't use that filter but do have diy refug/sump. made a filter box for ~$5 and now use crushed oyster shells and lava rocks for filter media. Calcium has gone from 250-300ppm to over 400ppm.
The lava rocks are kinda bio balls in function. I recently removed my HOB tetra tech and had no nitrIte or ammonia spike.

birdy

My concern for your tank would be if the algae continues to spread over your rocks and sand then when you look at your tank all you will see is the mossy fish tank.
Of course it is up to you, but I don't care for any algaes in the display (coralline excluded) I do have a refugium with macro algaes and I think this helps with nusiance algaes in the main tank.
Another concern would be if you are going to add corals, algae can choke them out and kill them.

jess74

Posted by Beaslbob
What you are doing is exactly the advice given to establishing salt tanks when I first started back in the late 70's. Works great.
Bob-
Back in the 70's you couldn't keep half the things you can today; how does using methods from the 70's work with keeping some of the delicate 'creatures' available to hobbyist today? Don't you think updating is required in order to keep these species? If using the same methods from the 70's still works today, then what has changed? Why are we able to keep different things today that couldn't be kept then? BTW-This is NOT a flame, this is a sincere question that I'm curious about.
:D

jess74

ejensen-
I'm sorry, didn't know my question would offend you. Your thread is titled Algae, good or bad? I was wondering the good and bad vs. now and then, given that the thing you keep today are different from back then. I was thinking that a large amount of that kind of algae in a display tank might not be all good for the type of occupants in most tanks today. With so many threads already going, I don't mind if someone posts a question related to the topic (doesn't necessarily have to be related to MY situation), I guess everyone doesn't feel the same way, sorry! :happyfish

ejensen

No problem, Just when ever beaslbob has something to say everybody questions him about his ways of doing things. Don't worry I don't believe everything people tell me. I just take what they have to say and use my own judgement weather or not to use it.

rbmount

Your tank your choice. I just want to know how you bot the blinds coming out of the rock. Some type of in tank refugium perhaps?

krowleey

Originally posted by Jess74
Posted by Beaslbob

Bob-
Back in the 70's you couldn't keep half the things you can today; how does using methods from the 70's work with keeping some of the delicate 'creatures' available to hobbyist today? Don't you think updating is required in order to keep these species? If using the same methods from the 70's still works today, then what has changed? Why are we able to keep different things today that couldn't be kept then? BTW-This is NOT a flame, this is a sincere question that I'm curious about.
:D

actally thats not true. i know people/companys that have bred and kept the most delicate fish in the 1970's (aquacraft) just like anything in the market today has to come up with new methods and equipment to buy. It's a big business as people shouldnt just believe everything they read. the UGF system is a prime expample that is atrue tested and working system, that just requires maintainence, the hobby over the years has just gone for the more lazy aproach. Ive kept a 100 gallon reef with a UGF and CC for years with not even a single loss in fish or corals, its all debated and people should stop trying to preach that thier methods are the only way to do something because that it just simply false.....