algae issues

bdacamel

I am new to saltwater aquariums. I have a bunch of algae growing and am looking for advice. Please help. I believe this may be due to using conditioned tap water, and too much light. Do you think that this might be the case? Or is this growth (red and green) normal?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdacamel http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510269
I am new to saltwater aquariums. I have a bunch of algae growing and am looking for advice. Please help. I believe this may be due to using conditioned tap water, and too much light. Do you think that this might be the case? Or is this growth (red and green) normal?
Hi, and welcome to the site.
You need a CUC (clean up crew) of snails and such to help clean your algae up. Yes, conditioned tap water is the reason you have the bad algae. The good news is, if you switch to RO (reverse osmosis) water for top offs and water changes, you can turn it around and fix your water griefs. You also need a couple of power heads to create some movement in the water...the wave is the life of the ocean, and your saltwater tank.
What in the world is hanging on the front of your tank (dead center top area)?

bdacamel

okay. Very well. THanks for the input. I will do just that... Get a bette CUC and switch to RO/DI water!
That is actually a snail hangin of the glass in the picture.. My only snail... Ill be oredering many more lol! Thanks Flower!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdacamel http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510286
okay. Very well. THanks for the input. I will do just that... Get a bette CUC and switch to RO/DI water!
That is actually a snail hangin of the glass in the picture.. My only snail... Ill be oredering many more lol! Thanks Flower!
LOL...It looked like a snail...but it looks like it's HUGE

What size is your tank? What about power heads?
What are your test results?
PH
SG
Alkalinity
Nitrate
Phosphate
Nitrite
Ammonia
RO/DI...
A good CUC has more than just snails....a serpent star would help to get uneaten food from the rocks. Hermits love brown algae, but the kill snails. A Lemonpeel dwarf angelfish will mow down the algae...but they need lots more rock than what you have, they like to swim through caves....nipping algae as they go.

bdacamel

yeah its a big snail for my 20g long. I had a full on cuc but lost all my other snails :( I have 5 hermits, a pep. shrimp, that snail lol and a lm blenny. I will be getting another crew together.
I now have the lights set to 8 on - 16 off and will be getting ro/di water from my lfs soon. The thing that seems nutz to me is that my water seems ok. My phosphates went up about a month ago and I started getting hair algae. I was turned onto chem pure elite and now my phos read at 0ppm. My nitrate level is at around 5ppm. ph 8.2. ammonia 0, and my alk is at 12dkh. sg is 1.024-5. I just did a 20percent wc yesterday though so I will test again just before I start mixing in the ro/di.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdacamel http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510405
yeah its a big snail for my 20g long. I had a full on cuc but lost all my other snails :( I have 5 hermits, a pep. shrimp, that snail lol and a lm blenny. I will be getting another crew together.
I now have the lights set to 8 on - 16 off and will be getting ro/di water from my lfs soon. The thing that seems nutz to me is that my water seems ok. My phosphates went up about a month ago and I started getting hair algae. I was turned onto chem pure elite and now my phos read at 0ppm. My nitrate level is at around 5ppm. ph 8.2. ammonia 0, and my alk is at 12dkh. sg is 1.024-5. I just did a 20percent wc yesterday though so I will test again just before I start mixing in the ro/di.
The fact that you have fuzzy rock, means you have high phosphates. When you test the readings say 0 because the algae is feeding on it. Macroalgae works the same way. As long as the macros feed on the nitrates and phosphates the parameters in the water are pristine. The only difference is that we consider macros a wanted thing, and fuzzy algae ugly. If you have a refugium you could add macros and they will out-compete the fuzzy stuff for food...or you could get a decorative macroalgae for the DT. As you remove the overgrowth of macros, you remove the phosphates and nitrates from your system.

bdacamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510487
The fact that you have fuzzy rock, means you have high phosphates. When you test the readings say 0 because the algae is feeding on it. Macroalgae works the same way. As long as the macros feed on the nitrates and phosphates the parameters in the water are pristine. The only difference is that we consider macros a wanted thing, and fuzzy algae ugly. If you have a refugium you could add macros and they will out-compete the fuzzy stuff for food...or you could get a decorative macroalgae for the DT. As you remove the overgrowth of macros, you remove the phosphates and nitrates from your system.
This is exactly what the ass manager at my lfs said just today!! She looked at the algae and in my tank and said I should get a macro this week to out compete the red algae. She also said the green algae will die off with time. She suggested turning the rocks upside down for a while, and adding the macro (Chaeto). Other than that I should turn the lights down to four hours for a bit and keep doing what I am doing. She said the main problem is the fact I was using tap water. I feel so dumb as what she says makes SOOO much sence. I cant believe I thought that water conditioner was going to allow me to use tap water. Oops!
I will be getting some macro on thurs and more cuc to boot. While I was at the lfs i picked up a couple green chromis. One of them is loving its new home. The other is taking time to adjust. it is staying at the topclose to the glass. I hope it is better tomorrow. My lm blenny has been out more since he has new fishies lol. He's been guarding his rocks and whatching the newbies. My shrimp doesnt seem to care.
Thanks for all your help flower... Ill try to remember to update as I get some results (the lfs said this is gonna take some time)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdacamel http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510517
This is exactly what the ass manager at my lfs said just today!! She looked at the algae and in my tank and said I should get a macro this week to out compete the red algae. She also said the green algae will die off with time. She suggested turning the rocks upside down for a while, and adding the macro (Chaeto). Other than that I should turn the lights down to four hours for a bit and keep doing what I am doing. She said the main problem is the fact I was using tap water. I feel so dumb as what she says makes SOOO much sence. I cant believe I thought that water conditioner was going to allow me to use tap water. Oops!
I will be getting some macro on thurs and more cuc to boot. While I was at the lfs i picked up a couple green chromis. One of them is loving its new home. The other is taking time to adjust. it is staying at the topclose to the glass. I hope it is better tomorrow. My lm blenny has been out more since he has new fishies lol. He's been guarding his rocks and whatching the newbies. My shrimp doesnt seem to care.
Thanks for all your help flower... Ill try to remember to update as I get some results (the lfs said this is gonna take some time)
???ass of a manager????
somebody told you the same thing I did...was that a bad thing?
Do you have a refugium? Don't put chaeto into a display. Go to a place called "Golf coast ecosystems" they have some beautiful macroalgae...they even have an on-line book to tell you all about the macro, where it comes from, how much light it needs and most important how fast it grows. Chaeto has no hold fasts, so it floats free...you don't want a giant green tumble weed floating all over the tank, in a refugium it won't matter. Stay away from feather or grape caulerpa...it goes sexual, and can make your tank look like milk if you don't keep on your toes and watch it. Prolifera caulerpa is good, it looks like turtle grass, and it's easy to keep cut back so it isn't too invasive. Red macros are apt to spread everywhere...I like that but not everyone does.
....You don't quarantine your new fish?

Not to hijack this thread. But since we are talking about display macroalgae, any you'd recommend that looks good & clowns & coral beauty angelfish like?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510573
Not to hijack this thread. But since we are talking about display macroalgae, any you'd recommend that looks good & clowns & coral beauty angelfish like?
The angelfish will gobble up anything just about that's green you put in the tank, so fast it wont have time to grow. There is a stuff called maidens hair that fish will leave alone...but it's a marine plant not a macroalgae, you would need lots of nutrients for it to grow, but fish won't eat it as a rule. High nitrates will kill it, as opposed to macroalgae that feeds on it. It looks very pretty.
So if you are looking for a pretty addition, supplement extra food for the fish, or something that will remove the phosphates and nitrates will determin what to add to the tank. If you want to feed your fish...an algae sheet on a clip is better and cheaper.

The angelfish will gobble up anything just about that's green you put in the tank, so fast it wont have time to grow. There is a stuff called maidens hair that fish will leave alone...but it's a marine plant not a macroalgae, you would need lots of nutrients for it to grow, but fish won't eat it as a rule. High nitrates will kill it, as opposed to macroalgae that feeds on it. It looks very pretty.
So if you are looking for a pretty addition, supplement extra food for the fish, or something that will remove the phosphates and nitrates will determin what to add to the tank. If you want to feed your fish...an algae sheet on a clip is better and cheaper.
Thanks!! :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510572
Ass manager, as in assistant manager. Lol.
LOL...it only means assistant, if you put a period after the abbreviation... ass. Otherwise the manager is just an ass, and that's not a very nice thing to say about someone. I come for the old school...before texting. I couldn't figure out why you thought the manager was an ass.

beaslbob

Your tank is simply responding to the nutrients, light and carbon dioxide present.
resulting in algae and cyano.
IMHO the best thing to do is embrace that and use algae (macros in a refugium or al algae turf scrubber) you prefer.
that way the uglies wll go away.
my .02

bdacamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510611
LOL...it only means assistant, if you put a period after the abbreviation... ass. Otherwise the manager is just an ass, and that's not a very nice thing to say about someone. I come for the old school...before texting. I couldn't figure out why you thought the manager was an ass.
im sorry. I actually am old school also... Just been adapting for a few years. I did not mean to come across like an ass. I actually enjoyed your post as well as what the ass. manager at my lfs had to say!! LMAO
THanks for ur 2cents ;)

bdacamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510631
Your tank is simply responding to the nutrients, light and carbon dioxide present.
resulting in algae and cyano.
IMHO the best thing to do is embrace that and use algae (macros in a refugium or al algae turf scrubber) you prefer.
that way the uglies wll go away.
my .02
Can co2 come from micro bubbles? I cant seem to stop my HOB emperor filter from producing these ugly bubbles. Any ideas?

bdacamel

ok so I either am stare waaayy too long at my tank or im amazed (or both) but it seems like my red algae is retreating. I turned the lights on 4 hours on / 20 off and flipped my LR over so the growth would be on the underside. Also did %25 WC with RO/DI H2O. Next I will get some macro (maybe grow in a bag or in a corner?) but not sure where to put it. I only have the small DT. Cant afford to build a refugium.
Thanks for the help guys.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdacamel http:///t/394380/algae-issues#post_3510845
ok so I either am stare waaayy too long at my tank or im amazed (or both) but it seems like my red algae is retreating. I turned the lights on 4 hours on / 20 off and flipped my LR over so the growth would be on the underside. Also did %25 WC with RO/DI H2O. Next I will get some macro (maybe grow in a bag or in a corner?) but not sure where to put it. I only have the small DT. Cant afford to build a refugium.
Thanks for the help guys.

Hi,
Macroalgae can't be kept in a bag. You can put it in a corner of the tank, what's important is that you get the right macro to put in a display tank.
Prolifera Caulerpa is a good macro for a display....it grows fast, but it's easy to keep trimmed by just tugging on the runner line at the bottom. It won't go sexual, like grape or feather caulerpa that makes the tank water look like milk.
It will take time for macros to really do some good...water changes are your best defense right now. I would do 25% a week water changes, until the algae problem is under control. Also dying algae (under the rock) could die too fast and cause trouble, so watch your parameters for ammonia and nitrite, be ready to do an emergency WC by having the water all mixed and ready before you even need it. If you don't use it, then just use that water at the end of the week for a regular WC. Better safe than sorry.