Algea Help

juiced_rl

I have three spots in my tank with a dark green slimy looking algea. I am not sure what it is or why it's there. I have attached a picture.
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0.1
PH 8.1
77 degrees
I have moved powerheads just incase it is a dead spot but I have about 1400 gph moving through my tank and I can't find anywhere that doesn't have flow. Amy help on this would be great.

socal57che

Looks like you might have a little "green hair", too. Measure your phosphates and try a phosphate magnet if they are high and cut back on your light time. Is your skimmer working properly? (do you skim?) This should slow or stop it's progress and maybe it will regress. I have covered mine at times with a large shell or cloth to block direct light. Hope I helped.
(don't know what to call the slime)

juiced_rl

Thank you
Yes I do skim and the skimmer works great phosphates are at about .01
Since I purchased my MH retro it has grown more but mainly in areas that have some cover from the light
The algea is spreading and has micro bubbles on it all my perameters are in order I have also taken some water to the LFS and had them test it just incase I am retarded and they said everything is great.
I am worried I do not want it to spread much more.
I do not think covering it will help since it is growing in places that are shaded
My lighting is as follows
Actinic PC's 2 65watt 8 hours
2 10k MH 250watt 4 hours
I am not sure what else to do
I actually moved a bit of it into the sand bed in direct light and it has lost it's green color and looks like it is dieing

juiced_rl

I have snapped some recent pictures the algea is starting to spread even more I want to get it out of there any advice would be great

stingrayjs

Your having the same problem I am having. My tank has been running for almost a year now, with out any major problem. But all of a sudden last week I have gotten a large amoutn of slime alge well its actualy a bacteria, just like the type in your pictures. Currently I have been scrubbing and taking out as much of it as I can. Shortening my light hours, and have my phosphate reactor running. But I stil have it just not as much. I check ed my tank when I first saw it, and found my salenity to be a bit low at 1.22-1.23, and my oh about 8.1-8.2. From what I have found out so far, from digging, is what I hope when I get my salenity back up to 1.24-1.25 for my reef tank, and get the p back up a bit it will no longer be a problem. But at the moment its a major problem as it will be no where in sight in the morning, and when I come home its all over the tank and even a good number of corals, I have. My light where the first suspect but they are not even a month old yet. Its just very odd that my tank was find then wham this poped up, and its very frustrating, I am trying to do a weekly water change on the tank also, and I hope with a little patence and maybe some luck, I can get it undercontroll or kill it all.

juiced_rl

here is some information i received from someone on the algea i am going to try this my dKH is a bit low now.
"some of your algae looks like dinoflagellates, some looks like like cyanobacteria. the bubbles you see are the oxygen thats being produced by the algae. my suggestions would be, raise the alk to 11 dKH if its not there already, lower your light cycle to 6 hours total (just until its gone)5 hrs MHs 6 hrs PCs, and dont overfeed the tank. when doing your water changes, right before you start syphoning out the water, blow off the rocks with a turkey baster, then syphon as much as you can out of the water. once you start seeing a decline in the algae bloom you will probably find your source of the algae will be high nitrates. right now the nitrates are being consumed as fast as they are produced so you are getting a 0ppm reading."

J

jdragunas

test for nitrates as well... with ammonia at 0.1 you're bound to have high nitrates, and that'll fuel algae growth. Also, any ammonia is too much, so you should do a water change to get rid of it.