Allen7 29g Bio Cube Pic's :)

allen7_7

Hi my name is allen...I have loved fish tanks for a long time and always had fresh water fish...I have converted to salt water and me and my wife bought a Oceanic 29g Cube which we are loving! Comments welcome please.
Tank setup in march with a month cycle time.
First picture in April 2008.

Some can help with what this is? Its really yellow.

Thanks for looking

rebelprettyboy

the yellow coral is a bleched gonipora. those are supposley hard to keep alive in home aquas... So u might wanna try to trade it in at the LFS. Other than that everything looks happy and healthy. IMOO u should get a bit more piecces of live rock and stock that baby with some coral!!!

blazin2k6

yeah i would say its a bleach goniapora as well.
Everything else looks very beautiful and nice though. I would say you could add a little more rock as well but i know it is so expensive. What is that extra large mushroom you have ? Elephant ear mushroom or what ? Those giant purple ones look nice also.

clownfish11

i'm not a tang police or anything, but I would get rid of that blue tang fast! It will outgrow/ it had outgrown that tank. yah the coral is bleached, but besides that it looks great!

allen7_7

bleach goniapora are hard to keep at home? I have had it almost two months and seems to be doing fine. The blue tang is not good because it gets big to fast? I don't know what kind of mushroom that is to tell you then truth. I do need some more lr but am putting sprinklers and sod in my back yard right now so I am holding off buying anything else soon. Do you guys think the bio cube skimmer is a must have for this tank?

rebelprettyboy

The skimmer isnt a mst, but its good to have one, but def not a must!
And the tang gets to big and and is a very active swimmer and a biocube isnt enough, need at least a 120 gal tank.

luvmybizz

Do you have stock lighting for that clam? Need some more live rock and get rid of the tang and everything will start coming together! Welcome to the hobby that you spend all your time and money on, but in the end is worth every hour and penny!

paintballer768

The blue tang gets about 10-11" and grows at a fast rate. And when tangs do not have enough room, they get very aggressive. Should be in a 125 gallon I think, if Im wrong its because its somewhere around the 200 gallon mark.
And the clam and goniopora are going to die soon. Assuming this is a stock biocube, the lighting is no where near enough to keep either. The expulsion of zooxanthelle (what makes coral colorful) is triggered, in most cases Ive seen, by lack of light. The goniopora is so bleached you can only really get color under the actinics. Both should be kept under high wattage T-5 or metal halides.
Looks like you fell victim to the LFS. Do some googling and you will be much better off.

allen7_7

Thanks for all the advice! Yes the lights are stock I have looked into getting better lights but dont really know where to start..But I am going to get more live rock soon. So on the list to go is the blue tang, clam, and goniapora.

N

nemo_66

well, if you want some lights, i would look into metal halides. possibly the 175 watt ones.

allen7_7

Okay took the advice. My dad has a 120 gallon and is adopting my clam and tang..sad but they will be better off. I am going to pick up some more lr. I have tried finding some zoas and star polys but am picky picky..lol any other advice? I did replace my bio balls with lr. I had canyo i think that is what it is called but my candy corals are splitting for the second time which is goood. My mushrooms have made three new little ones also.

rebelprettyboy

id just look around here. ppl are alqyas selling on here. Think you got hav 50 post though.. so stack up em and find a good deal on here

allen7_7

Thanks everyone! Just getting ready to go down lfs now to pick up so lr. I will post some pics when I get it scaped the way I like it so I may take a few days lol

perfectdark

Looks good so far, you have been given some great advice. Especially with the live stock, clam, tang and goniapora.
Upgrading your lighting is a good way to broaden our coral selection. But along with that my advice to you would be to research along the way and make sure what you are interested in obtaining is at your level of expertise and care. Even with proper lighting and tank levels, inexperienced hobbiest can fail quickly with demanding corals.
Keep up with the pics and progress.

allen7_7

I added some lr this weekend! I really like the way it turned out! PerfectDark thanks for the advice I love your tank I think its amazing. I will post some pictures when everything gets back to normal. I also purchased some zoa's from a seller on here and should get them next week.