An Easy and Cheap Way to Cure Ich (or ick) - My Adventure with 'Ich-Attack' by Kordon

sepulatian

So QT is a bad thing right? You know what is funny? I came to this board without a clue about SW. I had kept FW for a long time. I came here with a tank full of ich. I lost several fish. I cycled a QT, as I was instructed to do, as was ntracy. I listened to advice and continue to QT fish. I have not had a single spot of ich in my display. Not once. I have kept fish in QT for well over a month. The pair of maroon clowns that are in their now have been there since April 25. They are in excellent health. It is a 15 long QT, not some weird lab grade creation. They are still in there because male maroons grow slowly. My fuzzy lion is large enough to be a threat to him. Yep, QT's are real stressful, yet my clowns are doing wonderfully. I bought the pair with torn up fins. That was healed inside of two weeks. A QT is only bad if people throw 13 fish into a small Qt without letting it cycle. Learn about ich and the life cycle of the parasite. RCreations, how is that larger QT coming along that you asked me about? Garlic is a miracle product right? Cures every time? My goodness.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2675733
KellenR, that is such a great post. This should be a sticky so beginners won't jump on the QT bandwagon and end up killing most of their fish. Now don't everyone get upset, I do believe a QT is a good thing but not for beginners who are just starting to learn about keeping fish. Add a QT on top of that and it's a recipe for disaster. And I really think all the advanced people here should stop suggesting QT to every single person who posts of an ich problem. A QT is not for everyone so you should recommend it on a case by case basis. For one, a QT should NEVER be recommended if someone just found ich on their fish, yet they don't even have a QT yet. Obviously they can't set one up properly and cycle it in time and they'll be nervous and afraid the fish will die and will try to set up the QT as fast as possible and it'll result in lots of dead fish. Fish that wouldn't have died in the DT, even with ich. Anyway, we should all use common sense and not generalize that one thing is good for everyone.
When ntracy posts about all of his fish dieing, I expect that you will be there to walk him through this. He has a post about Brooklynella in D&T now. Why don't you go help him out with that. I don't want to push any of my or the "advanced" people's ideas on him. Go take care of this. Thanks

I am staying out of it for now. I don't want him to think these are just Tizzo's and my recommendations. Feel free to help him out.

ntracy

Sepulatian: this is not a place to vent your frustrations onto other people. You probably feel good after postings like that. It's kind of disappointing that you're so angry at others simply because they don't share your opinions. Ever since the beginning, you've been nothing but pushy, opinionated, and bull-headed about this. Sure, you may say the same about me, but I can take this thread as proof that I don't have all the answers. Even as I look at the title I gave this thread in the beginning, I can see how I've evolved my hobbyist style and knowledge of this hobby.
Tizzo has etiquette and cares about informing people of recommended routes, but when you're around, I feel like I'm the target of a firing squad, and the thought of having to read your responses almost stiffles me to oblivion... like I've got a gun to my head and one move in the wrong direction means certain death.
Why are you so angry? Why do you throw people under the bus the moment they don't agree 100% with you? I mean, c'mon, isn't that a little childish? And aren't most of us adults on here?
Also, it's kind of weird that you've been doing research on other threads I've listed, and have furthermore used them to support your argument for the purpose of proving my irresponsibility with this hobby. It's a little freaky...
Your sarcasm is not funny. It's not constructive, and your moodiness only makes things worse. Please, for my sake and others, try to be more courteous... it should be a general expectation amongst adults. You could learn something from Tizzo. She is clearly passionate about fishkeeping (as are you), and has the highest of care for her fish (as do you), but I have never felt like she'd throw me in chains for making a mistake or having a differing opinion. I feel like you'd kick me in the groin if I made a single mistake, and if that's the way you want to behave, then I see no point in continuing to listen to anythng you say.
I feel bad for other newbies who come on here and get a spoonful of your wrath. It's a horrible thing to consider, and I'm sure it will put them off to the idea of this hobby altogether, as it almost did for me.

ntracy

I'm saying this in the hopes that you're eyes will be opened to the kind of person you're being on here. C'mon, wake up!

sepulatian

I am sorry that you feel that way. That is quite shocking to read. I have helped countless people on these boards and have never been accused of what you just said. If I offended you in any way then I sincerely apologize. I do not take back the way that I tried to help you nor any of the other people that I have helped. I have wished you luck with your way that you want to treat these fish. I sincerely hope that it helps. I have been in this long enough, and have helped enough people, to know when bad advice is given. Certain things work and certain things do not. There are ALWAYS people that think they have found the "new way" to treat parasites. They come back. This time it is after many losses. I am sorry if you think I am being rude or not accepting new ideas. Garlic is not a new idea, nor are "reef safe" medications. Quarantine, hypo or copper are tried and true methods that actually work. I don't want you to just take my word for it though. Other people on here that keep an ich free tank will tell you. Try your own way. Ich and fish can co- exist. I never said that they couldn't. You would need a lightly stocked tank though. You have two over stocked tanks. We asked you to bring the hippos back. You refused. A 34 and a 14 are not sufficient for two hippo tangs. I am sorry, but they are not.
In a lightly stocked tank, with very healthy fish, ich can be kept under control. This brings us back to what we asked you long ago in this post. You wanted to eliminate ich, not just control it. We walked you through what you wanted done. Now I am an angry person and have been pushing you? I am stepping back now. I want you to get other opinions.

kellenr

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2676099
So QT is a bad thing right? You know what is funny? I came to this board without a clue about SW. I had kept FW for a long time. I came here with a tank full of ich. I lost several fish. I cycled a QT, as I was instructed to do, as was ntracy. I listened to advice and continue to QT fish. I have not had a single spot of ich in my display. Not once. I have kept fish in QT for well over a month. The pair of maroon clowns that are in their now have been there since April 25. They are in excellent health. It is a 15 long QT, not some weird lab grade creation. They are still in there because male maroons grow slowly. My fuzzy lion is large enough to be a threat to him. Yep, QT's are real stressful, yet my clowns are doing wonderfully. I bought the pair with torn up fins. That was healed inside of two weeks. A QT is only bad if people throw 13 fish into a small Qt without letting it cycle. Learn about ich and the life cycle of the parasite. RCreations, how is that larger QT coming along that you asked me about? Garlic is a miracle product right? Cures every time? My goodness.
Well I believe there is some 'selective listening' here. If you re-read what I wrote I said that "QT's are the safest, sure-fire best bet there is, AS LONG as it is done correctly and by someone experienced". I'm sure YOU could probably keep anything alive in a QT for as long as you'd like, with hypo, medicine or whatever you were doing. I don't think that a beginner can effectively setup a QT and run a hypo treatment as efficiently and precise as it needs to be done. I believe by doing this the risk of a fish dying is greater than the risk if you leave it and try to 'beef up' its health and the tank conditions so it can repel ick.
Who said QT is a bad thing? I didn't say that, I didn't read anyone else say that? That is an exaggerated statement that you came up with, derived from my simple difference in opinion. I stated more than once that "this is simply my opinion from what has worked for me". I never said this is "what you HAVE to do". As I look back I see many people told ntracy that this was the 1 and only option unless he wanted to lose every single one of his fish. What is a beginner supposed to assume from those statements? Of course he thinks he has no other choice. The ironic thing is, once this all started going sideways I like how everyone starts with the "do what you want, its not my tank", when before people all had their opinions to push on to ntracy demanding that QT was the only option and "do whatever it takes to get a QT up and running asap". Now people are back-peddling saying the QT setup wasn't done properly etc.. Well go figure. You have a new person running in circles with an information overload of instructions.
The sarcasm is kind of relevant because you say "yep, QT's are real stressful, yet my clowns are doing wonderfully", that even further backs up my point. QT's under your roof that are already setup, just waiting for something to enter, ran by an experienced hobbyist (you), are going to do very well. Having someone that is pretty new and just saw some ick in their tank run out with a shopping list and trying to wing it with the help from a message board is very risky in my opinion. I think the main thing is that sometimes peoples posts need to be a little flexible and conducive to each persons individual situation. If for some reason someone can't setup a QT, for whatever reasons, the next step should be some advice on other alternative methods for treatment, even if they're not guaranteed like a QT would be. What happens here is people get slapped with this 'QT or nothing' philosophy that doesn't help them out at all, especially after they just get done saying "a QT is not an option for them unfortunately". The QT could be your first choice of advice but then there needs to be some alternative advice in these situations.
I'm not shunning anyones opinions or views here, so the sarcastic comments aren't really needed. I've been pretty fair about both sides here and ultimately would agree with a QT, but ONLY in selective situations depending on the caretaker. I don't think it was best in ntracy's situation.
It'd be like a surgeon telling a college student to perform surgery and he'd walk him through it via email. Chances are slim that the student is gonna pull it off correctly. Now does that mean I'm against surgeries all of a sudden? Of course not.
I respect everyone on here, most know WAY more than I do. And most have helped me out personally. One thing about this hobby is you can never stop learning and will always find new stuff to educate yourself on.

bioneck47

o.k. I've been following this crazy long thread from the beginning. I guarantee most people just got fed up and stayed AWAY! but how in the world can you guys say that a Ht/QT was a bad idea? With all of the fish this guy had crammed up in those tiny tanks, it was the ONLY option. I mean come on, a blue hippo in a 14gal tank. Garlic wasn't going to help. And how can you compare performing a surgery to setting up a QT? Setting up a QT is ridiculously EASY! Even for a beginner. ALL of the information for setting one up is in the link (by beth) posted for ntracy.
The only regret I have about setting up a QT/HT is that I didn't do it sooner. I lost 13 out of 14 fish a year and a half ago because I added a puffer with marine velvet to my DT without quarantine and I didn't have a hospital tank to treat them. but you will never know the importance of a QT or HT until you have a loss like mine. I lost over $600 of fish so IMHO and experience, a QT is an absolute must in this hobby, not optional. Unless you don't know about it, really can't afford it, or you really don't give a ---- about your fishes health and well being. Which I'm sure we all care or we wouldn't be on the computer countless hours doing research, which I'm positive we all do.
So how can you guys feed Sep to the wolves and tell him that setting up a QT was a horrible idea. This was the absolute best choice to go with, it's not everyones fault that it was set up incorrectly.ALL of the info is in that link for "how to set up a QT" by beth.

R

rcreations

Sep, the reason I put my 2 lionfish in QT is because one of them stopped eating after he got ich. The ich got on his eyes and I think he couldn't see anymore. So if he stopped eating, I couldn't treat with garlic. If he continued eating, I would have left both in there happily and treated with garlic. Plus I had a QT setup before theu even got the ich. In QT after all the ich was gone, his eyes cleared up and he's now eating again. So like I said, garlic or any other method isn't right for every situation. And I think you're not reading my posts all the way through. I said QT is a good thing but it isn't right for everyone. I am setting up the 65 gal tank at my own pace, I'm not rushing it in order to treat a sick fish.
I still stand behind what I said, that a QT is not right for someone just starting out. Especially if they're rushing to set one up in order to treat ich. I found out the hard way that it's a lot tougher to cycle an empty tank than one full of LR, it takes way longer. It took mine a good month to completely cycle. I thought it did in a few weeks but then ammonia popped up again, so all in all it took a month. Someone that is trying to fight ich is going to have patience to wait a month?
I have read with my own eyes, in the disease forum, people being advised to put their sick fish in uncycled tanks and just control ammonia and nitrites with constant water changes. I'm not saying it was you who gave that advise, I can't remember who it was. But I've seen it more than once. That is soooo WRONG in my opinion. And I followed those topics and 9 out of 10 times the fish either died or that person just put them back in the DT because they couldn't handle the daily water changes and/or control the ammonia.
Also, I know nothing about Brooklynella, my fish have never had this, so that's why I can't help. I can only offer advice on stuff that I have experience with or if I did research on.

kellenr

Originally Posted by bioneck47
http:///forum/post/2676180
o.k. I've been following this crazy long thread from the beginning. I guarantee most people just got fed up and stayed AWAY! but how in the world can you guys say that a Ht/QT was a bad idea? With all of the fish this guy had crammed up in those tiny tanks, it was the ONLY option. I mean come on, a blue hippo in a 14gal tank. Garlic wasn't going to help. And how can you compare performing a surgery to setting up a QT? Setting up a QT is ridiculously EASY! Even for a beginner. ALL of the information for setting one up is in the link (by beth) posted for ntracy.
The only regret I have about setting up a QT/HT is that I didn't do it sooner. I lost 13 out of 14 fish a year and a half ago because I added a puffer with marine velvet to my DT without quarantine and I didn't have a hospital tank to treat them. but you will never know the importance of a QT or HT until you have a loss like mine. I lost over $600 of fish so IMHO and experience, a QT is an absolute must in this hobby, not optional. Unless you don't know about it, really can't afford it, or you really don't give a ---- about your fishes health and well being. Which I'm sure we all care or we wouldn't be on the computer countless hours doing research, which I'm positive we all do.
So how can you guys feed Sep to the wolves and tell him that setting up a QT was a horrible idea. This was the absolute best choice to go with, it's not everyones fault that it was set up incorrectly.ALL of the info is in that link for "how to set up a QT" by beth.
I'm not 'trying to feed sep to the wolves' by any means. There were plenty of people on here with all kinds of overboard QT advice. At least Sep hung around and followed this thing thru instead of bailing like some others did once they saw things go sideways. Just cause Sep happened to be one to reply doesn't mean that anything is geared towards him, we've had 260+ posts in this thread.
The 'surgery' analogy I stated was used so some could understand that being coached online is difficult sometimes when it comes to sensitive things. Setting up the QT wasn't like surgery, but performing hypo correctly and safely was what I was referring to.

sepulatian

Kellen, let's not skew what was said here. You jumped into this thread after all was said and done with this:
I don't run a QT, I don't feel it's necessary for the 'average aquarist' to go through all these die-hard measures. If you're gung-ho and have 20 tanks with conditions more sterile than your own kitchen table than I can say "of course you'd have a QT" and you should. But I truly believe it is a huge burden to set one up properly for the average beginner and to safely perform advanced 'hospital' treatment on fish. I don't think this whole pushing everyone to use a QT just because you decide to is the 'best suited option' for everyone.
I know all the benefits of a QT and YES, of course, a QT is a great step to the acclimation process and provides a great place to treat fish. But for most people, (as in people who don't live in a fish store), who just have a nice simple 'living room tank', I TRULY believe a QT is not the best option unless they are decisive on having one as is on their own.
Setting up a quarantine tank is not difficult, nor is hyposalinity treatment. It is not a "die-hard" measure. It is a responsibility that aquarists have. I have had the QT debate countless times with people and am not about to have another one. You will find only a hand full of people on here that successfully keep ich in their tank. Some of those tanks are very beautiful. Again, ich and fish can co-exist if, and only IF, the tank conditions are right. I don't feel that they are in this situation. The tanks are over crowded and two clowns were just added.
Again, ntracy, I hope that you do find a method that works out for your fish. You mentioned in your other post that you have a 90 gallon being set up now. I STRONGLY urge you to transfer your rock, coral, and inverts, when the 90 is ready, and treat the fish in the tanks that they are in now. This time watch the PH when you drop the SG. When you are asked about your readings, if you want help that is, please respond when you are repeatedly asked for your tank readings. Especially if your tank is clouding up. That means that something is wrong, that can be fixed.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2676377
Just cause Sep happened to be one to reply doesn't mean that anything is geared towards him, we've had 260+ posts in this thread.
Wow, way to pay attention. Sepulatian is female.
I've paid attention to this thread because I've seen a lot of 'wrong' advice posted here. Heck, the thread was started by someone who thought they had 'beat' ich with the 'miracle cure of the month.'
Ntracy has made a lot of mistakes, and I think everyone on here, including him/her, acknowledges that. Every one of us does that when we get into the hobby. Luckily we find our way here to SWF, where we can learn from our mistakes, and hope to learn from others.
It really irks me when people come on here and attack the folks who spend a lot of other time helping other folks on here. I see people like Beth and Sep posting in a lot of threads every day, helping people with the same problems over and over. I think that entitles them to a little less flaming from those on this board who are here to learn more than teach.
My $.02

kellenr

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2676481
Wow, way to pay attention. Sepulatian is female. ...
Didn't realize that, its my first encounter with her. You trying to be funny with that comment? You trying to earn a cookie or something? No need for your cheap sarcasm.
-Sorry Sep, no offense Maim.
Originally Posted by sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2676423
Kellen, let's not skew what was said here....
I think I've been pretty straight forward all along. You're right, I did add my opinion after all was said and done. I'm sure ntracy didn't do things the correct way and didn't do 'exactly' what you advised. I agree the tanks are overcrowded and adding an additional 2 clowns into this mess probably wasn't a super smart decision. I feel that you have dedicated a more than sufficient amount of information to this thread and really wanted to take ntracy by the hand and walk him through this. This was all done with your good intentions and free will to help him. No where am I ever condemning you for your more than generous help. I was just simply trying to say, in more or less words, that you can only help someone so much, you'll reach a point (as did here) where it goes beyond their capabilities of patience and knowledge. (i.e. not giving the params as requested, dropping or raising the SG faster than instructed, adding additional fish, etc.). Ntracy couldn't setup the QT and run it effectively. That is why QT's are not for everyone. I feel you, Sep, gave 150% into this and really wanted to see the day where they came out of hypo ick-free and back into the DT. I'm not criticizing you for your actions or advice. I, ntracy and others really appreciate your wisdom and experience you bring to us here. I just want that to be made clear.

ntracy

Okay, I took some pictures of my tanks to give you a physical frame of reference for the size of tank to size/amount of fish ratio.... some of you have been throwin' me under the bus about over crowding so I wanted you to see it.
My 34g has about 25 lb's of rock in it, and a lot of corals who are all doing very well... you can see that the tang is tiny, and actually smaller than the butterfly, who right now is his only other free-swimming friend (the goby being a bottom feeder). At this stage in his life, he's small enough to be ok in the RSM for now, but shouldn't you be glad that I'm thinking ahead for a larger tank?
Also, having done the QT, I have the right and the freedom to say that it was not easy... trust me, I've read the postings, and listened to the opinions of all of you. It is simply not possible to successfully treat fish in an uncycled QT. --> a huge mistake. IT HAS TO BE CYCLED. And sep, I kept the pH at 8.3 while lowering the salinity.
Lastly, the 14g has a TINY tang in there... it's smaller than the chromis... almost the same size as the pseudo. After having looked at these pics, do you still think both tanks are waay overstocked???

sepulatian

Tangs are open water swimmers. A 75 is too small for a hippo. Yes, you are over stocked. I am sorry. The size of the fish does not matter, at all. They get stressed quickly in a small environment. If the fish is stressed then their immune system is lowered. If you are going to treat ich using alternative means then you have to rely on the fish's immune system. If their immune system is low then you will run into difficulties.
A 12 gallon tank is suitable for 3 MAX small fish that are not territorial. You have six fish in there, one of which is a tang. I know that you don't want to hear it, but that tank is grossly over stocked.
Read this thread https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/326585/how-many-tangs-in-a-90-gallon/20#post_2676578
I promise, I don't make this stuff up as I go along

You corals are very beautiful though.

R

rcreations

Just a question regarding tang size. If for example you take the tang he has in the 34gal and look at the size of fish to length of tank ratio, then compare that to a full grown blue tang in a 150gal, wouldn't it be about the same ratio?

robdog696

I would just like to stop for a moment and show some support for Sepulation. Ntracy, I don't mean to insult you, but this thread was a disaster from day one. I steered clear of it by a mile because I knew it would not end well for you. Unfortunately, you seem to blame sep for that train wreck. Sorry to inform you, but your tank was a train wreck before sep ever tried to help. I didn't help. I noticed a lot of other more advanced hobbyists didn't help either. Sepulation doesn't hesitate to help ANYONE! If you ask me, sep is maybe the most valuable member to this forum right now. And guess what? Sep gave me the same exact advice she gave you, and I saved my purple tang using those step by step instructions. I used my sump as a temp DT for my inverts, hypo'd my DT, and bought a $5 rubbermaid bin for my liverock. I didn't see anywhere that sep urged you to be an "over the top money spender". It is a good feeling to know that your tank is not only free of the appearance of the ick parasite but the existence of it all together. She was only trying to help. There are PLENTY of people on this board who post uninformed and arrogant responses with making themselves look better the only agenda in mind. Sepulation is NOT one of those people!!!!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2676704
Just a question regarding tang size. If for example you take the tang he has in the 34gal and look at the size of fish to length of tank ratio, then compare that to a full grown blue tang in a 150gal, wouldn't it be about the same ratio?
It has nothing to do with the size of the fish. These tangs are open water swimmers. They MUST have room to swim. They aren't like clowns in that they stick to one small area. The only tangs that are the exception are Kole and Tomini. Even a yellow or possibly a purple would do alright in a lightly stocked 90. Any of the other tangs need a six foot long minimum tank to thrive. If they are in smaller tanks their health declines and they can become quite aggressive with their tank mates.
Robdog, and others, thank you very much. That was very kind of you.

ntracy

I think RobDog and Sepulatian are the same person. They have similar grammatical tendencies, and to this point, RobDog has been the only one to really defend Sep so valliantly... they joined at basically the same time, and yet RobDog is very reclusive... I've only been here a few months and I've got almost half the amount of posts as RobDog's posts already. RobDog has no image, no location, nothing. And yet it seems that RobDog is of equal experience to Sepulatian, despite the fact that he's only posted 401 times in the last two years... kind of interesting too that most of RobDog's posts were to defend Sepulatian. He comes in at exactly the right time, idolizes sepulatian, and goes back into the burrow he made for himself.
It's really pathetic if you actually did this, Sepulatian... making two forum usernames and using them both to manipulate people to agree with you. Sorry, but it's going to take a lot to prove this isn't the case.

al mc

Originally Posted by ntracy
http:///forum/post/2676808
I think RobDog and Sepulatian are the same person. They have similar grammatical tendencies, and to this point, RobDog has been the only one to really defend Sep so valliantly... they joined at basically the same time, and yet RobDog is very reclusive... I've only been here a few months and I've got almost half the amount of posts as RobDog's posts already. RobDog has no image, no location, nothing. And yet it seems that RobDog is of equal experience to Sepulatian, despite the fact that he's only posted 401 times in the last two years... kind of interesting too that most of RobDog's posts were to defend Sepulatian. He comes in at exactly the right time, idolizes sepulatian, and goes back into the burrow he made for himself.
It's really pathetic if you actually did this, Sepulatian... making two forum usernames and using them both to manipulate people to agree with you. Sorry, but it's going to take a lot to prove this isn't the case.
Ntracy...Sorry for your losses. I do not always agree with everything Sep says (and I am sure she would say the same about me) but there is no one that spends more time trying their best to be helpful and give advice in the 'disease' section of this forum.
Personal attacks do not advance anyone in this hobby.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ntracy
http:///forum/post/2676808
ntracy, I assure you that I only have one account on here. I have no reason to prove anything to you nor anyone else on here. Let's not get into personal attacks because you don't agree with what I am saying to you. It is your tank, stock it any way that you would like, treat your fish any way that you would like. Let's not play this game though.
I don't know why RobDog doesn't come here often. Ask him. He was likely defending me because I have walked him through treatment. Are you suggesting that I set up an additional account two years ago and staged a fake conversation with him, knowing that one day I would need to defend myself? Come on