Anemone bubbled up

my Anemone looks like it is blowing up ..filling with air.. Like a bubble??????? He moved in the position he is in in the last 5 min... Any help PLEASE??? Do I need to get him out or just leave him in.. I do not want others things to die.. everything is reading as great ..I did a partical water change about 3 days ago...
Thanks, Donna

blownz281

We need to know when did you get him
What size is your tank
How long has it been setup
Filtration
Lighting
Water testing
before we can help you

perfectdark

IMO Nothing to worry about just yet. Although it does look odd it doesnt look unhealthy. It maybe just moving, readjusting, stretching out for light, and inflating (very normal for them). Although more info as stated above about your tank would be benificial, for now observation is key.

I have had him about 2weeks..
30 gallon tank
back filter
under tanks filter that is really for a 75 gallon tank
4 blub light ( 2-65 watt 10,000k daylight, 2-65 watt true actinic 03 blue)
Tank has been up for about 6 weeks..
the LFS gave me some bacteria to put in and speed up the cycle..then told me it was ok to add the Anemone.....
I have live rock and live sand...
nitrate--20
nitrite-0
alkalinity-300+
ph level7.4
ammonia--.25
I don't have a protien skimmer yet...working on that maybe this weekend ( I know I need one)
Thanks for your help
Donna

I also have a green looking slim on the back opf my tank..it is trying to be on the front but I keep wiping it off...

perfectdark

Originally Posted by NewSalty0711
http:///forum/post/2592162
I have had him about 2weeks..
30 gallon tank
back filter
under tanks filter that is really for a 75 gallon tank
4 blub light ( 2-65 watt 10,000k daylight, 2-65 watt true actinic 03 blue)
Tank has been up for about 6 weeks..
the LFS gave me some bacteria to put in and speed up the cycle..then told me it was ok to add the Anemone.....Unfotunatly this was very bad advice
I have live rock and live sand...
nitrate--20
nitrite-0
alkalinity-300+Very high
ph level7.4 VERY LOW NOT GOOD
ammonia--.25DANGEROUS TO ANYTHING LIVING IN YOUR TANK ESPECIALLY ANEMONES
I don't have a protien skimmer yet...working on that maybe this weekend ( I know I need one)
Thanks for your help
Donna
IMO take the anemone back to your LFS and dont ever ask them for advice again. You system is still much to new to add an anemone. In fact it appears that it still might be cycling, or you have had something die reciently. Your anemone is certainly going to suffer, weather it pulls through or not I cannot say but right now it is in a very unhealthy and unstable environment.
You need 0 ammonia reading, your pH should be between 8.0 and 8.4. What is your salinity? You didnt mention it.

my hydrometer says 1.022 is this good....
All the reading I put on here on the test kit it says they r good... I am trying to get this LOL ..I took another pic of him now he looks better...brighter... it moved closer to the coral..
Thanks
Donna

prime311

Bad algae is usually caused by one of 3 factors -
1. Poor Water(i.e. tap)
2. Bad Lighting(need new bulbs or light schedule change)
3. Not Enough Water Flow(add a powerhead)

R

reeftheif

6 weeks is waaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to add any coral. I would never ask your lfs for advice again. Keep your head up, youll get the hang of it soon. your on the right track by signing in to this forum.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by NewSalty0711
http:///forum/post/2592210
my hydrometer says 1.022 is this good....
All the reading I put on here on the test kit it says they r good... I am trying to get this LOL ..I took another pic of him now he looks better...brighter... it moved closer to the coral..
Thanks
Donna
Hydrometers often give false readings they are not considered accurate. It would be in your best interest to invest in a refracometer. And no your salinity is low for a reef tank. You should be in the 1.024 to 1.026 area.
It is important that you realize how danerous keeping livestock of any kind in your tank is, right now. Im not sure what readings your refering too that say they are good. If your talking about the test results you posted above, then something is very wrong with the information you are given.
Your general lack of knowledge towards reef keeping and your inhabitants is going to be the downfall of your tank. Your statment "I took another pic of him now he looks better...brighter... it moved closer to the coral.." prooves this, your anemone shouldnt move around a lot, it should not be near corals, and it should not be bright. Although this is not a sever case, its pedal area and tenticles are a bit bleached. The entire animal should look like the color of its foot.
I am in no way trying to flame you, but you have an animal that requires pristine water, which you do not have, a mature tank, again you do not have, and a knowledgable hobbiest... again...you are lacking. Its best that before you take the advice of your LFS that relys on your purchase to stay in buisness that anything you are interested in having you ask people on these boards as we are all just here to help.

I will be going to the LFS tonight and I will take pics with me so maybe they will believe me when I tell them something is wrong with my tank... Thanks for your help... I will also do another water change tonight...I have 2 -5gallon jugs full and been for about 3 days so it should be good to use now.. I will buy a refracometer this weekend also... I will get this..I will not give up.. I have way to much money invested to throw in the towel...LOL
Thanks to all who have helped me
Donna

prime311

There's nothing 'wrong' with your tank per se, so I don't know what you expect your LFS to tell you or how they could help you.
The problem with your tank is that its too early for you to safely house an anemone and you should take it back and wait another 4 months before getting another. You don't seem to understand that a tank should be a minimum of 6 months old before adding an anemone to it.
It would be a good idea to use that 4 months to research the anemone you want to get and make sure your tank is properly prepared to house it.

rdm

No one mentioned that the PC lighting you have may not be enough to support this anemone either.

slpcamaro

Originally Posted by rdm
http:///forum/post/2593032
No one mentioned that the PC lighting you have may not be enough to support this anemone either.
I think this is one of your biggest problems as I've only had mine tank up and running for 2 weeks and anenomes been in 3 days and it looks better then it did in it's old tank. So you can have your tank ready sooner but your isn't ready first thing you need to do if you don't take him back is to do a water change and get some t-5's.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by rdm
http:///forum/post/2593032
Actually for a 30gal tank if what is posted is correct there is approx 260 watts of PC lighting for a 30gal tank. For a bubble tip anemone this can work because the tank is fairly shallow.