Anemonse and Lights.

snipe

Just a quick ?. I was just wondering what you guys thought certain species of anemones can live under certain lighting. I know the Bubble anemones do alright under PC and all but what about the ones that (in the sticky on hosting) is listed as LTA (not the purple one)?
Mabey I could suggest a Anemone and light sticky. On types of anemones and types of lights that they can live under. :thinking:

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Snipe
Mabey I could suggest a Anemone and light sticky. On types of anemones and types of lights that they can live under. :thinking:
I've thought about such a sticky but it would always, always be a war or at least highly debated topic. I think however most of us would agree that the more lighting the better, and the deeper the tank the better the lighting needs to be.
However if you would like to work on it and submit something for disscustion I'd be happy to look at it and perhaps make a sticky on it.

T

thomas712

Just some notes to tuck away. Still working on it Snipe
ANEMONES KEPT MORE THAN 2 YEARS OR REPRODUCING:
Heteractis
Tank size Metal Halide Flourescent Actinic
160-gal 2-175w MH None 2-110w
75-gallon 1-175w MH 1-30w 50/50 1-30w
60-gallon None 2-110w 50/50 2-110w
55-gallon None 2-40w daylight 2-60w
Stiochodactyla
Tanks size: MH Flourescent Actinic
120-gal None 3-110w act wt 1-110w
100-gal 2-175w MH None 2-40w
90-gallon 2-175w 5500K None None
70-gallon None 3-40w daylight 3-40w
55-gallon 2-80w MERCURY VAPOR
Entacmaea
Tank size Reproducing MH Flourescent Actinic
120-gal No None 3-110 act wt 1-110
110-gal YES None None 4-40w
60-gal No None 1-110 50/50 None
20-gal YES None 3-15w 50/50 None
2003 survay
Lighting:-
Basically, the conventional wisdom was confirmed here, that strong lighting is best, although there were exceptions. Over 90% of anemones were under metal halide (MH) lights, or MH in combination with something else. The others were under Very High Output (VHO) fluorescents, power compacts (PC), or various combinations. Nearly all systems included actinics. Among other examples of success without MH, was an E. quadricolor which had been kept for 5 years under PC lights, was in top health, and had produced a good number of clones which had been sold.
Some respondents with very bright MH reported that the anemone actively tried to get in the most possible light, while a few owners said they did not consider lighting hugely important.
The lighting was very difficult to properly analyse, not knowing the exact position of the lights. Plus, the position of the anemone has a huge effect. Just simply looking at the particular light set up does not tell the full story. However it can be said that the general leaning was towards very strong lighting. The anemones under less than MH were nearly all in very small tanks. Just a word to those who are wondering why their anemone is moving around, current and substrate also play a part here. A number of respondents said their anemone stopped wandering once it found the correct combination of light, current and substrate.

snipe

Well I have been gone all weekend so I havent had time to do anything but im back now so you can email me anything ya want and I can try to help.