Angelfish died, why?

carrie1429

I had a bi-color angelfish for about two months, he seemed very healthy no signs of ilness he ate very well. I fed him one day then the next day no sign of him, I searched all over and finally found the hermits eating what was left of him.
My tank has been setup for 7 months with well established DSB and 120 Lbs of LR, here are my tank parameters:
Ph: 8.1
Nitrates:10
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites:0
Calcium:320
My calcium is a little low but would that cause the angel to die? My clownfish and damsel are both fine, anybody have any ideas of why he died?

firegarden

My Flame Angel died two days ago, and I had him 9 months! Everything else in the tank was normal, it made me sick.
Only thing I did was remove a pair of Cardinals the day before to take home to my 110 because HE was nipping at them! I thought maybe the stress of the rock moving did it, I don't know.
The pain of losing an Angel for me is very fresh, I empathize...they are delightful fish when healthy!

carrie1429

I fed him garlic soaked marine pellet food, along with live brine shrimp and blood worms. I also fed sea weed selects. He seemed to eat very well and had a big appetite.

toymaniacs

I also had a Bi-Color Angel, had it for over a month. Was swimming and eating fine and the next thing you know he died.
I decided not to buy another bi-color angel again.

Ifeel your pain i had a rustic angel that i had for three months die for no aparent reason. I think i wll leave angels alone for a while.:( It was one one my favorite fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::(

firegarden

I fed mine Spirulina as well as a variety of frozen foods. We have a Flame Angel in our 110 as well, he is awesome. He shreds the sea weed clip. I had to think back-I had the guy a YEAR and nine months, not just nine months. I will most likely get another Flame Angel for that tank...
My Cardinals are doing good in the 110, now my poor 45 looks so sad! I think I will keep it simple. One Flame Angel, my False Percula, Long Nose Hawk Fish, CBS and crabs/snails.
Terry B, it's encouraging to know you have had extreme success!!!

flamehawk

This hobby is such a challenge and sometimes it's experiences are erratic and inconsistent. First of all, sorry to hear about the bi-color. It really stinks when this happens. It's happen to me with the flame angel and I have decided not to buy another. I've never had any luck with them.
AS far as bi-color. Alott is said about how delicate they are. I however have never lost one and have 2 in 2 different 55 tanks and they are doing great. There both about 3 years old.
I feed a wide variety---brine, mysis, spectrum pellets, daily nori, angel formula, shrimp/kelp/clam combo, and recently added plankton on Terry's suggestion. They need lots of L/R as they graze constantly. Oh well that's my story. Good luck in the future if you decide to try again.