another clam/light question

bpro32

Can I put a squammy clam in a 12" deep tank with 4x39w nova extreme? It has a single reflector which worries me, but the clam would only actually be about 6" from the light...

bpro32

It would be up high. About 6" away from the light and 3" deep in the water. Does that wound about right to you guys?

maryg

I hear the squamossa are not as light dependant at other clams. You may even be able to keep him on the substrate. You can just start there and move him up if you need to.

maryg

Now I hear some clams like to be placed directly on the substrate. But if you have to move it up, some folks put some sand into a 1/2 shell (dead clam:( ) and place their clam inside it.

bpro32

Originally Posted by MaryG
http:///forum/post/3042600
Now I hear some clams like to be placed directly on the substrate. But if you have to move it up, some folks put some sand into a 1/2 shell (dead clam:( ) and place their clam inside it.
good idea! I like it

cherylann

Always start your clams lower in the tank initially, most clams like the substrate if your using MH except coreca and some maxima. If the mantle is all the way open and the clam is not relocating than you should be fine. Squamosas' are my favorite clams and are easy to care for. Do not try to supplement feed as this will only case the clam distress. Also they will bind to the place they like the most as in using their basal filiments to attach. Sorry no spell check and left handed.