Another Newbie Question

jmbdrummer

My 30 gallon tank is now stable and has been up for quite a while now. I was given another 25 gallon tank with some live rock that is not so live anymore.

My question is, could I use the water changes from the 30 gallon tank to fill and cycle the live rock in the 25 g tank?

I know that is such a newbie question but didn't know if there would be any benefit to it or would it be worse for the rock. I understand the ways to cycle live rock just wasn't sure if the other water would have any benefit.

Sorry if that is a dumb question.

flower

My 30 gallon tank is now stable and has been up for quite a while now. I was given another 25 gallon tank with some live rock that is not so live anymore.

My question is, could I use the water changes from the 30 gallon tank to fill and cycle the live rock in the 25 g tank?

I know that is such a newbie question but didn't know if there would be any benefit to it or would it be worse for the rock. I understand the ways to cycle live rock just wasn't sure if the other water would have any benefit.

Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Hi,

There are no dumb questions. There is very little good bacteria actually in the water, it's all on the hard surfaces. All you would be doing is dumping nitrates into your new tank, when what you want is ammonia. Ghost feed an invisible fish for a few weeks with some flake food.

jmbdrummer

That's what I figured. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything, which is what led me to think it wasn't a great idea. Thank you for your response.

pegasus

Welcome to the forum! I tried using old water from water changes to cook dry rocks once, but found no benefit whatsoever. Yes, it'll be better to just let the tank cycle and allow the rocks to repopulate with beneficial bacteria.