Anthony Calfo Lecture

jonthefb

Well guys i just go t back from a presentatino Anthone Calfo gave to the Rocky Mountain Reef Club, and im am delighted! This man has quite a few fres new ideas on reef aquariums and it was a real treat to meet him and get to talk to him in person! If you all dont already have his reef invertebrates book that he co-wrote with bob fenner or the book of coral propagation, i highly suggest picking them up, as he is a fantastic writer filled with inventive and creative ideas!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

his ideas for using xenia as a nutrient exporter in a refugium are very interesting, however teh potential for die off is a little too dangerous i think!
i think the biggest part of his lecture that stuck with me is that we as responsible aquarists need to be more aware of the biotopes we are creating in out tanks...he gave a very stark example that if you have ricordea in with sps teh ricordea are going to constantly release chemicals to allelopathically battle witheht esps, cause they have no idea what it is and have never been around it before....this energy that they are constantyl spending battling other corals becomes higher priority than say growth! HE also feels strongly that anemones shouldnt be kept in sps tanks because they would never see each other on a natural reef!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

as long as they are the yuma ric no problem, and some zooanthids, such as pinks and blues which typically inhabit upper reef slope edges, your ok, but the R. florida come from a whole nother world, and usually have adverse reactions to acros!
yeah hey i know im "larger than the average bear" but now i gotta type in this skinny window...what you callin me fat swf.com?????heheheh j/k
as far as the tort...i think im gonna get skilos's i just gotta ok with the sig other....i havent purchased anyhting for the tank in a long time, so i think(hope) shell be game! interesting though!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

hahahahah im sure she would love that! i would be in for a beating and bruise very easily heheh (j/k)
hey kip, i emailed oyu again but was gonna see if you have a messenger of sorts aim/msn, etc...wanted to see if you wanted to chat!
good luck
jon