Any ideas on what THIS is?!

kellenr

I just noticed this thing growing on my live rock, it must of just started taking shape a few days ago unless I'm completely blind.
It's raised almost like a half-circle dome. Looks like it has a coral skeletal structure that runs outward from the center radius. It's pretty symmetrical for the most part. Has like a charcoal ashy color to it with white 'arm like' protrusions. Almost the shape of a spider. It looks like it has a small something in the center of it. Almost like a mouth that a mushroom has.
Any idea on what it is or could be?
3 pics below, the last one I outlined the skeletal structure with red lines...

T

tizzo

No way of knowing that on my end, without seeing the underside.

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist, what your arrow is pointing to , is called a Limpet . Limpets are algae eating snails with a pyramid shaped shell . They hitchhike onto live rock .In my 150 gallon aquarium , I started with one , then all of a sudden there was another , now I have over 100 ( I'm not exaggerating ) . After my lights go off ,within 1 to 2 hours , I take a flashlight and look into the aquarium ,and the first things I notice are the bristle worms scavenging for food ,and the next thing I notice, are many baby limpets all over the live rock eating algae from the live rock . They're even inside of my filter . The limpets breed quickly . So if you have 1 ,soon ,you'll see many more smaller pyramid shaped looking snails . Enjoy the hobby !

ofc175

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2675750
Keyhole limpet
+2....thats def what it is i have 5-6 of them in my tanks.....dont even bother trying to pry them off the rock...i think its impossible ..lol they are good for your tanks its like a snail

kellenr

Cool, sounds good. Yeah I plan on just leaving it alone anyway. It IS alive, he's moved since yesterday to the otherside of the rock. Thanks for the help!