Any suggestions for drilling a 210 gal, Perfecto ?

jeff s.

I am wanting to go to salt with my frontosa tank. Tank is about year or so old. Can a Perfecto be drilled ? Where do I drill it ? Do I want two over flows or just one ? One on each end or one in middle ?
As for a sump...... plan on using a 75 gallon.... is it enough ? Can I have two in-coming filtrations into one sump ? Would the return/fuge be in middle ?
Jeff

sharkbait9

any stickers or labels saying “do not drill tempered glass” any where? The bottom has to be tempered and you can’t drill tempered glass.
Call perfecto and ask them what type of glass is used. If the glass is not tempered you can drilled it but I would go and order glass cutting hole bits. If you need them I can tell you were to get some at like 10 bucks a bit instead of the major money some of these sites sell them for. I have bough and used plenty of them and they work like a dream.
Good luck

scsinet

Yeah if it's a 55g or bigger tank, it's almost certain to be tempered. Tempered glass is stronger than regular, so they use it to save weight on bigger tanks (since it's stronger they can use a thinner piece).

papan

YOu can call the company and ask them.
I called Marineland to ask if i can drill my surfline 90

Originally Posted by Jeff S.
I am wanting to go to salt with my frontosa tank. Tank is about year or so old. Can a Perfecto be drilled ? Where do I drill it ? Do I want two over flows or just one ? One on each end or one in middle ?
As for a sump...... plan on using a 75 gallon.... is it enough ? Can I have two in-coming filtrations into one sump ? Would the return/fuge be in middle ?
Jeff

jeff s.

Originally Posted by hal000
dont drill, build 1 of these( see tread pics DIY overflow).https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=297623
for a 210, I would use 2 made from 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch pvc.
I use 2, 1 inch pvc up to a 120-125 gallon.
all other answers are yes!
And works as good as you say ?!?!?!
Looks great, and I would have no problem using it. I would like some plans if you can help me, tanks 30" high if that helps ya.
Thanks a million.
Jeff

wattsupdoc

Would be looking at drilling the BACK panel. Not the bottom. Jeff, IMO those DIY OF's while they may be effective, are pretty UGLY.
You would be better off buying an OF.
Did you check the manufacturer to see if it's tempered in the back/front panels? Has anybody on here got any idea if the front/back panels are tempered. Or had any experience drilloing a perfecto 210?? My understanding is that most tanks of this size are not tempered in the front/back panels.

hal000

they do work great. and they are not that ugly, they dont take up that much space,and they cover with coraline very fast.and IMO are more reliable then store bought.
also if you look at the 1 pic you'll see that they only take up about 1 inch or 2 of width from back of tank, far less than a built in overflow box.
and very easy to hide with LR and corals.
If you build it, you will be proud of it, and want people to see it, it will never be ugly to you.
when the coraline starts growing, and or you place some frags(ie gsp) to grow you will be happy you went this way.
will be happy to help more. but will have to wait till tomorrow.

jeff s.

Thanks guys. I am calling Marineland today, just to check. As for the looks of the thing. I dont see it being to bad, I actually like the look of a single pipe or two over the box of an overflow. Plan would be using black sprinkler pipe and then painting back of tank black. They would blend in well I think. Means my canopy will have to be modified (again) but such is life. I finally got my lighting situation fixed. I ordered the 1079 moddle from C. USA, the 250x3 MH with the 8 t5s and what nots.
For the extra price of say a Guisemann or others. I have been hearing that the bulbs from C.USA are not wonderful, but when they die, I can upgrade then.
Thanks for your time guys.
Jeff

jeff s.

Spoke with MarineLand aka Perfecto and the tank is NOT tempered. The 220 that I have, the 265 and all others smaller that they sell are NOT tempered. The only tank they have that has tempered anything, is a 150, and its the bottom plate.
So now back to a DIY or having it drilled. Already called one local glass shop and they dont do it.....
Jeff

hal000

that black sprinkler pipe, is not tank safe, it will leach toxins in the water.
it has to be drinking water approved.
if black is what you want, they do make black pvc, but you may not find this locally. it can be found online.
the black pvc in my 1 pic, was actually, spray painted with plasticoat. and is a large fw peacock bass tank. i would not recomend this on a reef tank. some algae eating fish develope a taste for paint,and actually eat it off, and can also be scratched off easily. but on the up hand, like super glue, or epoxy
when cured is non-toxic.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Jeff S.
Spoke with MarineLand aka Perfecto and the tank is NOT tempered. The 220 that I have, the 265 and all others smaller that they sell are NOT tempered. The only tank they have that has tempered anything, is a 150, and its the bottom plate.
So now back to a DIY or having it drilled. Already called one local glass shop and they dont do it.....
Jeff
WOW not even the bottom is tempered? Thats ballzy imo. You can drill it your self trust me i will pm a link that sells the hole saw bits, i use the seller all the time for all kinds of bits, hes great the bits are great and cheap as a mutha too.

jeff s.

Thinking drilling bottom not back. Closer to wall for me is better. A wide overflow with 3 drain holes I am thinking.
Anyone have any suggestions ?
Jeff

wattsupdoc

Ooops, I didnt read before I posted, so here's an edited post.

You want to decide if you want a center OF, 2 end OF's. Gewt some good black acrylic and some good diamond hole saws, if your handy, and go at it.
You'll want to do 2, 1in drains and 2, 3/4in returns. This will give you about 1200 gph through the sump/fuge.
If you do a closed loop also You can drill an additional 3 holes and incoorporate them into the OF(s). Or bury them behind the rock. But If you do that, you wont have access to them for any maintence you may need to perform.
With that many holes in it, I would suggest doing 2 corner OF's. Two much glass removed from to small of an area ====crack. IMO.Also they create a nice spot to stack rock up between.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
WOW not even the bottom is tempered? Thats ballzy imo. You can drill it your self trust me i will pm a link that sells the hole saw bits, i use the seller all the time for all kinds of bits, hes great the bits are great and cheap as a mutha too.

If you cant post a link, you not supposed to PM it either.

you can only drill the back glass.DO not drill the bottom it is temperd. the back or side will work.not easy though .it is better to get another tank or use a hang on.

maelv

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Perfecto is tempered glass so no you cant drill the bottom of it.
I contacted Perfecto and asked the question, I have the 220 corner overflow model, and they told me (via e-mail I have somewhere) that it wasn't tempered....HOWEVER, I wouldn't try to drill the bottom at all.

jeff s.

Originally Posted by maelv
I contacted Perfecto and asked the question, I have the 220 corner overflow model, and they told me (via e-mail I have somewhere) that it wasn't tempered....HOWEVER, I wouldn't try to drill the bottom at all.
Now I am torn. I am willing to use the DIY. My wife wants it drilled. Go figure?!?
Besides the obvious, is there any other reason not to drill. The guy I would have do it, is a fish guy who does them often. No longer works at LFS where he was for about 10-12 years and is on his own. He cant "guarantee" me anything but says he has yet to have one crack on him, knock on wood.
Jeff