anybody have Morrish Idols?

fshhub

anyone out here have a moorish idol(or more than one)?
if so, how long have you had them?
not looking for alot of information, yet, just wondering who has kept them for any period of time(currently)

hip68

I read on another board (gasp) ;) that they are very tough to keep and the survivability of them is generally very very low. You can email me if youd like and i can send you a link to where i saw this.
Privethip68@hotmail.com

fshhub

thanks anyway, I actually am not looking ot get one, but am looking for current MEMEBERS here, who have them
they are beautiful and very difficult to keep, YES. But, like i said, just looking for somoeone here who may have one or 3.

stacyt

I've been debating on trying one. I understand that they are difficult, but if provided with an ample amount of sponge I think I would stand a chance at keeping one alive. I have about 130lbs. of LR with a lot of sponge growth, and with some of the newer sponge based foods, I think I may have a chance with one. I'm setting up another 240 here in the next couple of weeks, and plan on letting it establish for a few months before adding anything. Still havn't decided, but I'm leaning towards trying one.

stacyt

The LFS in this area still get several of these in. I know it's sad as I know most will often die. Whats even worse is when I go to the wholesalers I see them bringing in moorish idols by the hundreds. Not saying that I have decided one way or another, but I have been eyeing them for a long time. Most of the ones that they get in at the LFS never will eat, but if I ever do come across one that is eating well then I may give it a try.

ophiura

This is my experience with a Moorish Idol, which arrived at the LFS I worked at in a shipment they were asked to receive due to weather delays.
It arrived. Owner said: "It will be dead, soon."
Week ended. Moorish idol alive.
Next few weeks, same story.
Moorish Idol eats everything put into the tank...nibbles on LR, brine, any frozen diet sponge based or not, nori, even pellets and flakes.
But owner keeps the mantra: "it will be dead, soon"
Months pass. System crashes. Idol survives. Eats everything. Looks fantastic.
More months pass and one owner of the store realizes, well, heck, might as well design a display around it because this one is a survivor.
Idol put in with Majestic angel. Idol beats the crap out of it, and any other fish put in with it.
Eats like a champ. You name it.
Other owner still says, "it will be dead, soon."
One day, over a year later.
Idol dead.
Sponge diets and all. Contant fresh supply of LR and all. Eating anything and everything. Surviving system crash that took out far tougher fish. Beating the crap out of others. One healthy Idol. Dead, like nearly all the others.
One owner was right.
Please do not get one.

stacyt

ophiura,
Thats good to know. Were there any signs of why it died? Was it still eating well? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I am definatly going to get one. I have been tempted several times, but I keep passing on them because I know they are difficult to keep. I guess that even if they are eating there is still some other factor that causes their demise. This is just one of the fish that I would love to have, but I'll probably never have. Just like the blue ribbon eel. I'd love to try one, but probably never will. Although I am tempted every time I see them.
A couple of theories that I have on why they do not do well in captivity. In the wild I always see them as a pair. I can't recall ever seeing one by itself. I think possibly that when they are caught that they are seperated, causing stress, and maybe this could possibly be part of the problem with them. Also when seeing them in the wild they cover a large area very quickly. Constantly on the move. Maybe the stress of not having plenty of swimming room in our small tanks.

aquamann28

I was looking at the info on Moorish Idols and saw you mention a Blue Ribbon Eel. I actually had one for 7 years and he would of lived longer if I hadn't had to take my 180 gallon down and I tried to keep him in a small tank until I could get moved and set up a larger one, and he didn't make it. I will say though, I had him for 3 MONTHS before he started eating!!! And the first thing I got him to eat and what I always fed him from then on was Silver Sides. I practically had to hand feed him too, they have very poor eyesight. Maybe that will inspire you to try one if you see one for sale, at least he may have a better chance of living.

blknght

i have a friend who has had his idol for 4 years with no problems he started off with 2 one got bigger beat the crap out of the other and it died the survivor eats everything and anything in the tank and even charges ny friend when he add or subtracts thing s from the tank it seems healthy and happy and has been for 4 years now

cards98765

one swf store in my area has had a pair surviving for two years. He never brings them in for customers or anything though. Sounds like he is the only one having any luck though by the other posts on this board. Haven't asked how what he is feeding them or anything