Anyone else have problems opening some threads?

rudedog40

There's a few threads on this forum that either take forever to open, or never do open. Initially, I thought it was due to a bunch of pics attached to the thread. However, I recently had a problem with a thread that had no attachments (No paper clip next to the name). Wasn't sure what it was, then it dawned on me - AVATARS! Some of you guys who have these fancy avatars with the moving pics and motion must have some code that takes forever to download. One or two replies with these avatars doesn't seem too bad. But if you try opening a thread with about 20 replies with these motion avatars - forget about it. And this happens to me with a T1 connection. Just a heads up for those of you who are having a similar problem.

dlauber

I dont have any problems at all.
I high speed, which is less then t1...so it really cant have anything to do with avatars downloading.

mie

Not sure what t1 is but i have a desktop comp and a laptop on the same cable modem. (The laptop is on a wirless network). We have no probs at all.
The only thing i can think of is a slow connection speed or you are trying to open stuff at peak times of the day. just like heavy traffic everything is slower.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a problem, but if you are using dailup for the internet these days, then you can expect to take 5 mins to open each page.

gmann1139

rudedog,
I'm on Cable, and have the same problem. Its not connection speed, its all the calculations going on in the background. I do enough web programming I can say that pretty confidently.
I also just quickly checked a couple avs, and they were all under 10 kB, which is nothing. However, Beth, the max was showing as 9.54 MB. Is that true? That's a huge gif to get nearly 10 MB at 150 x 150 pixels. I bet I could get a full length movie in that.
On a more serious note:
If you go into Quick Links/Edit Options, about 2/3 of the way down the page under Thread Display Options, you can choose the Number of Posts to Show Per Page.
That won't improve your DL speed, as you'll be downloading the same amount of info, just in smaller, more frequest chunks.
There's also some options in IE that could affect this, but I'd have to know what version you're running to hunt them down.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by gmann1139
rudedog,
I'm on Cable, and have the same problem. Its not connection speed, its all the calculations going on in the background. I do enough web programming I can say that pretty confidently.
I also just quickly checked a couple avs, and they were all under 10 kB, which is nothing. However, Beth, the max was showing as 9.54 MB. Is that true? That's a huge gif to get nearly 10 MB at 150 x 150 pixels. I bet I could get a full length movie in that.
On a more serious note:
If you go into Quick Links/Edit Options, about 2/3 of the way down the page under Thread Display Options, you can choose the Number of Posts to Show Per Page.
That won't improve your DL speed, as you'll be downloading the same amount of info, just in smaller, more frequest chunks.
There's also some options in IE that could affect this, but I'd have to know what version you're running to hunt them down.
Could be an IE setting. Thanks for the info on the options. That might help with opening some of the pages. It happens more on one of my systems than others I use. I was thinking it had to do with the motion avatars because I've had issues with other web sites that host the same type of files. Not sure if it's Java script, .Net, or VB script that's the culprit. Too many web technologies for me to keep track of these days. Like I said, it doesn't happen with all threads. Think I'll start monitoring which threads are the slowest, and see which avatars are in those threads. Doesn't really matter. Just an observation.