Anyone ever thought of or tried automotive HID's for lighting?

sman

Was just thinking about this the other day, automotive HID's, any good over a reef tank?
Currently running individually reflected T5's 4x54. Just bought the fixture a year or so ago, moved up from a single reflector nova 4x54. A lot brighter, but still missing that shimmer effect. HID's are wicked bright, but I have no idea on there actual output vs a t5 setup. Can be ordered in color temps from 3000k to 14000k and sometimes higher..
Ive got a spare set of 8000k at home I was thinking about throwing over the tank to test them out for a few days, but have no idea what to use for a reflector, any ideas?

turbo_teg98

Well I don't know how well it'll work but first you would have to convert the voltage source to run the 12 volt HIDs. If you actually get this setup I'd love to see it. I have a spare set of 10,000k HIDs in the garage lol

al&burke

You might want to try some aluminum cladding, I got mine at HD for some lights I put on my algae scrubber. You can polish the aluminum sheets pretty well.

sman

Gonna try this tonight. Ive got a power supply to convert to 12v. Any PC one would work in a bind, but I have something specifically for it.
Going to see if I can find some cheap headlight housings at the junk yard for testing purposes!

btldreef

Curious to see how this works. I have a set in my car 12K that I'm about to rip out because NY cops are a PITA about it.
They do run hot, any ideas/thoughts on that?

forcrz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman http:///t/388310/anyone-ever-thought-of-or-tried-automotive-hids-for-lighting#post_3424053
Gonna try this tonight. Ive got a power supply to convert to 12v. Any PC one would work in a bind, but I have something specifically for it.
Going to see if I can find some cheap headlight housings at the junk yard for testing purposes!
Better off looking for a motorcycle headlamp They now have the replaceable lights for them, and will give diffusion.

acrylic51

True!!! I bought a pair for my bike haven't installed yet. It's a little more to proper lighting than just 10k, 12k thinking though guys!!!

sman

Want to talk about do or die?
Got home 2 nights ago, and my less than 1 year old T5HO setup is completely dead.... How the &^%$ does that happen? Only 1 out of my 4 bulbs is lit, and it doesn't start reliably...
Had to bump this in to overdrive. Went and took the headlights out of our spare vehicle (2002 GMC Yukon) and popped a set of 8000k bulbs with 35w ballast's.
Here are the results, I think for a fish only or a softie setup, a 35w ballast would be fine, with just about any reflector. But Ive got some LPS and as soon as I get the tank moved to the new house I will be getting into some SPS, I would say some 55w ballasts are in order, as well as some decent reflectors. I will be on the look for some over the next couple day.

Also the color temp is way off.... 8000k will definitely not do. I would say 12000k or higher. The picture is not accurate in color terms and is way warmer and yellow looking than it looks. Will probably pick up some 14k bulbs and give it a whirl.
Dont judge the tank being crappy looking, im trying to move into a new house and the tank hasnt had light for a few days
We shall see....

S

siptang

How is the temperature on that? I know that 12k runs fairly hot...

sman

The lights are hot, but not as i expected. I really cant believe how some of my coral has taken off! My green hairy mushrooms are HUGE! I literally have one the size of a small dinner plate! My leathers are also enjoying the light, but the LPS are not very happy. Haven't figured out why yet.