Anyone ever use a DI tap filter?

buckeye88

I have one of those Deionizer filters that hooks right up to you fauset with the replacable cartridges. They are full of these tiny green beads that turn purple as the cartridge is used up. The cartridge is about 15" or so long and the directions say that when the entire length of the cartridge turns purple, than your filter is used up.
Anyhow, I believe that I used up my filter today when the cartridge turned purple but I was somewhat disappointed with the small amount of water that I actually got out of it (especially because the cartridges are so expensive and I can only find them online). The directions say that it should produce between 25-125 gallons of clean water on a single cartridge but I barely got 10 gallons out of it. When I removed the cratridge I took the top pad off and noticed that it was only the beads around the outside of the cartridge (the beads that were visible while it was still attached) that had turned purple and there were still probably a majority of the beads in the center that I couldn't see while attached to the unit that were still green. Did I remove the cartridge too early?
I hope that this makes sence to anyone, it's really hard to describe. Hopefully some of you have had this sort of tap water DI filter. I believe it's made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Thanks!

buckeye88

very slowly. The directions said to fill up half a cup of water so that it takes 25 seconds and that is what I did. There was however one day that the water pressure was fluctuating because I was doing my laundry. I slowed the water down when I noticed that it did that but is that why it turned colors so fast?

joe 09

i have a fowlr tank and use a ge whole house filter,with the carbon cartridge.it takes out all the nitrates. it is not as good as a ro unit,but it works well.

jpc763

I have the same filter unit and have used up one filter. I changed my filter when it sort of changed colors. I mainly changed it because the water that came out smelled funny. The new filter is on and is actually turning purple this time.
I read that if your tap water is hard or has a lot of metals in it, it can reduce the life of the filters. My tap water is very good so my filter lasted a long time.
So for me, I did not get a good color change, but got a wierd smell.

buckeye88

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Get a multi-stage RO/DI. The filters last a lot longer and cheaper in the long term.
I would love one of these but do you really have to have a plumber install them? That seems like more trouble than it's worth when you can get water from the grocery store for 25 cents a gallon.

jpc763

You don't need to get a plumber to install. The Coralife model is really simple to install.
I did not get an RO/DI unit for a couple of reasons
1) My tap water is very good. Using the API Tap Filter works well for me.
2) I live in a high desert and water is at a premium (water rates). I just can't handle the amount of waste water a RO/DI unit produces.
3) I have my tank upstairs next to a bathroom. I use the Tap Filter in that bathroom. I am not going to install a RO/DI unit in a guest bathroom.

big

Originally Posted by jpc763
You don't need to get a plumber to install. The Coralife model is really simple to install.
2) I live in a high desert and water is at a premium (water rates). I just can't handle the amount of waste water a RO/DI unit produces.
3) I have my tank upstairs next to a bathroom. I use the Tap Filter in that bathroom. I am not going to install a RO/DI unit in a guest bathroom.
That is an issue to address, I live with a 400 foot deep well. I am always worrying about the vast amount of waste water my RO unit sends down the drain. I hate to think of needing to drill a new one. I can just hear the wife now" we need a new well drilled because of that "Endless Money Pit of a Reef Tank " ran the well dry. What you are doing now may indeed he your best solution.

buckeye88

Originally Posted by jpc763
I was actually looking at the coralife model earlier today. I really think that this is what I might go with (it's very affordable too
). Does anyone out there have this unit and if so what do you think about it?

big

Originally Posted by Buckeye88
I was actually looking at the coralife model earlier today. I really think that this is what I might go with (it's very affordable too
). Does anyone out there have this unit and if so what do you think about it?
Google the term Airwaterice........ they can not be beat for service and price plus selection

buckeye88

Originally Posted by big
Google the term Airwaterice........ they can not be beat for service and price plus selection

Wow! Thanks for the info, I really like the "mighty mite w/ DI". Great price and the replacement filters are cheap
! But how much water does a RO unit usually produce before it expires and how do you know when it's time to replace?

big

Wow! Thanks for the info, I really like the "mighty mite w/ DI". Great price and the replacement filters are cheap
! But how much water does a RO unit usually produce before it expires and how do you know when it's time to replace?
Mine is simply hooked up in my garage to a cold water outlet with their hose adapter. Look at there site or call them, they will be very helpful. They are good people in helping new hobbyist out. They also have a sink adapter too, if you wish to hook it up that way.
As to the unit needing a pump. No it works off of the pressure of the water line. Replacement filters are every year or so. all depending on how good your supply water is. Once your filters become dirty enough that say 15 PPM are passing through replace them. Most of their models come too with a good PPM test meter. Good Luck with your choices. (Some folks have much fancier systems but mine works for me.)...... Warren

buckeye88

well thanks for the help and posting a pic for me to get an idea. The only reason why I wasted my time with the tap DI unit is because another site said that a multi stage ro unit needs to be professionally installed but that apparently doesn't seem to be the case so I'm going to be getting a much more economical unit.

buckeye88

One more question than I'll leave you all alone. I talked to the owner of a LFS today and through a conversation told him about the problem I had with my DI filter not lasting very long and mentioned that I was going to buy a RO/DI unit. He told me that if I get one, it won't last long either because of the water source.
I thought that RO units were supposed to have a long life expectancy. Is he right and buying an RO unit would be a waste because I would be constantly replacing cartridges or is he just trying to get me to buy the water that he sells at his store? Thanks again and sorry about the million questions, I've never owned a RO unit and I want to make sure that I don't waste my money.

matt b

http:///forum/post/2451010
One more question than I'll leave you all alone. I talked to the owner of a LFS today and through a conversation told him about the problem I had with my DI filter not lasting very long and mentioned that I was going to buy a RO/DI unit. He told me that if I get one, it won't last long either because of the water source.
I thought that RO units were supposed to have a long life expectancy. Is he right and buying an RO unit would be a waste because I would be constantly replacing cartridges or is he just trying to get me to buy the water that he sells at his store? Thanks again and sorry about the million questions, I've never owned a RO unit and I want to make sure that I don't waste my money.
well if you want to know for sure how much your going to need to get new filters then get a cheap TDS meter and how much your going to use your rodi unit. if your tds is way way high and your going to use it alot then your going need new filters more. and what lfs are you going to???

1journeyman

Mutli-stage RO/DI filters work much better than just DI.
The DI filter is much more expensive to replace. In just a DI filtration the DI is having to pull everything out. That quickly wears out the filter.
A RO/DI filter uses several stages to pull most everything out before it gets to the sensitive DI. That's what makes them more practical.
I use the Typhoon III from Airwaterice. It came with an attachment to hook right up to my sink faucet. It also comes with a TDS meter.
They do produce a lot of waste water... Fortunately I have an Aerobic Septic system so the waste water just waters my lawn.

buckeye88

ok, well I'll give it a try. In a worst case scenario, if I have to change filters relativley often, I still know it has to be better than what I'm using now.