Anyone have a 54 gal corner bow? (powerhead placement)

cglover226

currently i have 2 hydor koralia 3's placed on either side of the front of the tank (in each corner of the flat side that meets the bow front) towards the top angled down towards the middle of the tank.. my problem is that i am getting my sand piled up in mounds and bare glass spots on the bottom. i was wondering how anyone with a similar tank has them placed. i would like to try and avoid dead spots and unwanted brown algea on the sand (which i have now) my main setup is in the middle of the tank rocks stacked in a U shape with the corals (leatther, polys) on the rocks and anenome on the sand in the middle...

bgrae001

I have a 54 gal corner tank and I had the same problem. What I did was I placed on ph near the lower middle going straight across the front of the tank and the other one near the top half on the other side. It created a nice current and it reduced the sand movement.

cglover226

had an idea.. gonna head to home depot and see if i can get it together... to get waterflow to the dead spots behind my rocks in the back of the tank..-- gonna get some pvc and hook it up to my return going into the tank from my sump make it long enought to be towards the bottom of the tank and put a T on the bottom of it so it flows in both directions behind the rocks in the back corner (the actual 90 degree corner of the tank)....question can i spray paint the pvc black to blend in or is that a bad idea?

kane4fire

Spray paint doesn't last. I am going to try and buy some RIT dye in black and just boil the pvc for a while in it and see if that works. That will never come off. I just need to be sure I have a pot big enough for this.