anyone use wavemakers?

Anyone use wavemakers on their reef tanks? id so what size tank and what kind of wavemaker ? does it really make any difference?

cdangel0

I use a Wake2K in my 75. Pushes enough flow to keep the rock clean, the corals swaying nicely, the SPS happy, and gives the fish something to play in (the current). I couldn't imagine NOT having one now that I have it.
I so also run a Koralia 3 and 4 just to cause more random chaotic flow but that's just me. The Wave2K could do the job very well by itself.

natclanwy

I have a Reefkeeper Elite controller that has a wavemaker function. It cycles my powerheads on and off at set intervuls. It changes up the flow pattern in my tank to keep dietrus from accumulating in dead zones. I use a koralias #3 on one end of my 55g and a K4 on the other and they alternate every hour and as soon as I have time to figure out the multitimer function they will overlap for about 10 minutes.

gatorwpb

I was looking at the Red Sea wavemaker because it had good reviews. But then when I saw it wouldnt cost too much more to get the Reef Keeper 2 controller, I just bought that instead. I'll be setting up two Sure Flow modded MJ1200s on the wavemaker function of the RK2.

trish&dave

Not sure about others experience, but I had maxi jets running on a wavemaker switching every 20-30 seconds and it keep blowing the back off the PH. Eventually the stopped working. From what I understand, if they switch on and off constantly it will often start out in reverse.

kogle

Originally Posted by trish&dave
http:///forum/post/2843773
Not sure about others experience, but I had maxi jets running on a wavemaker switching every 20-30 seconds and it keep blowing the back off the PH. Eventually the stopped working. From what I understand, if they switch on and off constantly it will often start out in reverse.
I've heard that as well although I didn't ever have that problem. I've since upgraded to a closed loop running through an Ocean's Motions valve. LOVE IT!!! Best of all.... no power heads in the tank.