Anyone using canister fillter?

ricky1066

OK after 2 weeks of the make shift sump tank I have shut it down. I cannot deal with the noise . I have tried all I know Including the durso standpipe and the aqua silencer and they are all for Drilled tanks or tanks not for hob overflows. So please Don't recommend them again to me I have contacted the manufacture.
I originally started off with the fluval 405 that the lfs sold me I was told it was not good for salt water ./But I have it and I think I should use something The sock in the sump was dirty everyday With what I don't knwo it was brown so It was doing something . I have just gotten my skimmer so I will now use that.
My question is if anyone has a canister and uses it what do you put in it> I know the foam should come out (not sure why can catch dirt like sock) But I hear it should come out. So what can I put in the canister to help control levels .If anyting or just do without it and use the skimmer?
My chaeto seems to have gotten smaller in the sump after two weeks So now that I am not using the sump what should I do with the chaeto ? It is very small piece ?

tarball

Originally Posted by Ricky1066
http:///forum/post/2466432
OK after 2 weeks of the make shift sump tank I have shut it down. I cannot deal with the noise . I have tried all I know Including the durso standpipe and the aqua silencer and they are all for Drilled tanks or tanks not for hob overflows. So please Don't recommend them again to me I have contacted the manufacture.
I originally started off with the fluval 405 that the lfs sold me I was told it was not good for salt water ./But I have it and I think I should use something The sock in the sump was dirty everyday With what I don't knwo it was brown so It was doing something . I have just gotten my skimmer so I will now use that.
My question is if anyone has a canister and uses it what do you put in it> I know the foam should come out (not sure why can catch dirt like sock) But I hear it should come out. So what can I put in the canister to help control levels .If anyting or just do without it and use the skimmer?
My chaeto seems to have gotten smaller in the sump after two weeks So now that I am not using the sump what should I do with the chaeto ? It is very small piece ?

I have a marineland c-360 canister filter, works great on my 55g tank. I don't run anything extra in the canister filter.
Also if you want to quieten down the overflow, you can add a ball valve between the overflow & sump. Close the ball valve off just enough to match pump flow. That will cover the standpipe with water & silence the overflow. I've had my overflow operating like I suggested for 8 months without any problems.

sman

I run -> sponge (rinsed weekly) -> carbon -> white filter pads (changed often) -> ceramic rings (considering removing) then back to the tank. Im also running a aqua c remora but its still breaking in, I plan to remove just about everything from the canister other than the carbon once the skimmer is broke in. Also considering adding phosphate remove, as I herd it was always a good thing to run, not sure though

EDIT: This is in a cascade 700 on a 50 gallon breader.

ricky1066

I would love to keep the sump but I have tried al I can I have not tried the ball dvalve yet but I think I will do that today
To be honest I don't know whay I am just afraid of it flooding also The canister is encased and compact?

tarball

Originally Posted by Ricky1066
http:///forum/post/2466723
I would love to keep the sump but I have tried al I can I have not tried the ball dvalve yet but I think I will do that today
To be honest I don't know whay I am just afraid of it flooding also The canister is encased and compact?
As long as the siphon holds in the overflow with power out, the DT will not flood when power comes back on.
You will also need to drill a hole in the return pipe just below water level in DT to keep the sump from over filling with a power out also.