aptasia infestation

newbesalt

i need help.... Aptaisia just keeps getting worse soo bad that joes juice cant keep up.. due to soo many little ones ..tried pepermit shrimp (did not work) So last resort i pulled all my LR and soaking in freshwater...Crazy ?? thought that it will kill it all, Now i know ill lose most life on the rock..What i dont know how long this will take or if i need to let it dry out, or maybe soak overnite and put it back in.. the tanks been up for about a year, 5o gal. theres about 30 to 35 lbs of rock.just dont want to kill everything in my tank....the rock is in my tub right now..been there for 4 hours

small triggers

have you tried a copperbanded butterfly. They are specifically anemone eaters, much better than shrimp. That would be my choice before going to the extreme of taking the rock out. Plus what else do you have in there?

jackri

I've heard mixed on joe's juice. I've heard great things on the copperbands as well. Other options are boiling hot water through a syringe, kalk solution, vinegar.

newbesalt

3 chromis, 1 clown,1 starfish,2 urchins ,one of which resently lost all of its spines...1 hawk fish, 3 snails,3 blue legged crabs.rock is all ready out( no goin back now)Im running a canister filter,2 korla powerheads,and a crappy protien skimmer that i cant get to do any good any more...its a hob

small triggers

well. the only bad thing is now after you do whatever your gonna do with it, you have to re-cycle it if you kill off stuff. so hopefully you have a tub and such to do that for a few weeks.

newbesalt

Soooo .... recycle the rock...tank or both? so dont put any of the rock back in tomorrow ? I read that some people will dry it out 2 or 3 days then put it back in as dead rock and have the tank reseed it... Is this right,wrong or just plain dumb...is the fresh water soak even doing anything. I only have 1 rock in my tank .. because in has about 20 mushrooms on it ,

nick76

Originally Posted by newbesalt
http:///forum/post/3130049
i need help.... Aptaisia just keeps getting worse soo bad that joes juice cant keep up.. due to soo many little ones ..tried pepermit shrimp (did not work) So last resort i pulled all my LR and soaking in freshwater...Crazy ?? thought that it will kill it all, Now i know ill lose most life on the rock..What i dont know how long this will take or if i need to let it dry out, or maybe soak overnite and put it back in.. the tanks been up for about a year, 5o gal. theres about 30 to 35 lbs of rock.just dont want to kill everything in my tank....the rock is in my tub right now..been there for 4 hours
4 hours in freshwater? Everything is probably dead already. im guessing just let it dry out now and then you can put it back in.

newbesalt

will this cause my tank to re-cycle? After they dry should i rinse them off or soak them in salt water? Im guessing this was not the best idea,also will my tank re-seed the rock?

small triggers

4 hours in fresh killed the beneficial bacteria growin on the rock( but mayabe not inside the rock but do you want to take a chance?), and DID NOT kill the aptaisa. You need to either put the tank in a tub and re-cycle JUST the rock (because you have fish in your tank, the ammonia WILL kill something) OR to make sure the aptaisia are dead, do a vinegar or kalk bath and let the rock sit in that for a few hours,w/ a powerhead,,, than again Re-cycle the rock in a seperate container, not in the tank.