Are all heaters created equal

glinton

What is the best heater out there?
I have heard both Ebo Jaeger and Visitherm are good. Is this true? What others are good? I am looking for one that is dependable and able to keep a consistent temperature.
Thanks!

saltyrich

Don't jack around with anything other than an EBO Jager. IMO, they are superior and are no more expensive than other, cheaper brands. They are constructed better, beyond accurate, and have .5 degree increments for your temp settings.

mal

I have a WON PRO II titainium with digital display. No fear of it breaking from me or the things I drop on it. Great heater. I have the 250w or 300w (I forget) and it was less than 45 bones.

diane4

I tried some of the Titanium heaters, from Won bros, etc. The couple I bought, stopped heating and working after a while. The heater didn't kick on.
What I have usually used, and I think are the best - are the heaters from Rena Cal Excel. They have a red light that you can see go on and off through the glass tube. I like that because if you know the water is warm or the temp is warm and you see the heat clicking on, its a signal to check it out. The little red light is also a way to know that the heater is working. The titanium heaters you can't see that well. Yes, some of the models have a digital temp display on the unit that is exterior to the tank, but you have to look underneath the tank to read the temp.
I am going to stock up on heaters for the winter. I went to the titantium heaters because they come in 300 w, 500w and 1000W units. I use a Won bros titanium heater 1000 Watt to heat up my salt water mixes for water changes. But other than that, I will probably stick with Rena Cal heaters and put two units in the tank. One on each end of the tank. That I think works better.

fishy7

Won brothers here 350W. No worries about breaking the glasss and it displays the temp. I have been using mine for a year with 0 issues. :cheer:

acrylic51

Ebo Jager if your in the market for a glass heater.....I don't think there's any other heater on the market that can match their quality, and reliabitlity......Visatherm I wouldn't touch with a pole.....Quality is poor.....and the Stealth is even worse IMO......I've seen batches upon batches of these 2 heaters junk due to poor quality control........
As for titanium heaters I've used the Won Brothers, but they seem to fail after a bit.......What I consider the best heater is the Titanium heater by Jalli with separate temp controller......

chipmaker

About the only EBO-Jagers you will find anymore is what is left over old stock as EBO-Jager does not exist anymore. EBO was bought out by Eheim, so now they are all Eheim-Jager. Same exact heater, bit different labeling and wording, such as not approved for submersed operation.......which is ony a means to cover their butts as its not been approved by all countries for complete submersion, even though it is totally submersible......Look for a EBO-Jager first as they can now be found for a few bucks less than the Eheim-Jagers.

chilwil84

whatever one you get use two small ones because any brand has a chance of having problems so if one stays on or never comes on the damage to your tank will be reduced

diane4

I agree, two smaller heaters on each end of the tank is better than 1 large one. Just like I also think that having two sources of filtration is better than just one running.
I did a good bit of reading about the Jager-Ebo heaters. I think, at least based on what I read over the past couple days, the original heaters were not totally submersable. However, now that Eheim has the heater - it is now fully submersable.
I just ordered two Eheim Jager-Ebo heaters, 200 watt. I will see how i do with them. Whats interesting is that these heaters seem to have a higher rating for the wattage in the number of gallons it will heat or treat.
For example, when I buy the Rena Excel heaters and I purchase the 300 watt heater, it claims it covers is 55-100 gallons. And the Eheim Jager-Ebo 250 watt heater claims it supports 90 gallons and up. I wonder how the Eheim heater can claim it will support the same water volume with 50 less watts of power. ????

acrylic51

Or use a separate temp controller as a double safety for your system....If the thermo would stick in the on position on the heater the temp controller would sense it and cut it off.....