Are these corals going to be ok together?

Diodogorgia nodulifera "Red Deepwater Gorgonian"
Pachyclavularia sp. "Star Polyp
Xenia sp. "Pulsing Xenia"
Acropora millepora "Nathan's Green Millepora
please let me know if they are ok together, i am planning on going to my lfs this weekend to get them for my tank, also are thier any concerns i should look into?

flower

Originally Posted by fitbmxdude989
http:///forum/post/3279621
Diodogorgia nodulifera "Red Deepwater Gorgonian"
Pachyclavularia sp. "Star Polyp
Xenia sp. "Pulsing Xenia"
Acropora millepora "Nathan's Green Millepora
please let me know if they are ok together, i am planning on going to my lfs this weekend to get them for my tank, also are thier any concerns i should look into?

Congratulations, it's always a joy to get new corals! You can put any corals in a tank as long as you make sure to run carbon and they not touch.
Always give your coral room to bloom and grow, they should not touch each other. Running carbon will make sure they don't shoot poison at each other using the current of the water to sting their neighbors.
Angle your Xenia against other rocks and they will divide and grow upward, when they reach height, flip the rock and make them climb the other way…you will have a nice crop of it that way and control where it grows.
The star polyps are really easy to lift and move. To get them to spread just butt the rocks against each other where you want it to spread, putting it on a nice flat piece of rock will make that even easier and you can get in store credit, sell it, swap it..it frags easy and grows fast, you can control where that grows without much trouble..
Gorgonians need lots of current to keep algae from growing on it, some wants the light some don’t, so google the one you plan to get so you will know if it needs to be in the shade, deeps water sounds like shade but search it out to be sure…it should wiggle in the current not bend over, use crazy glue gel to hold it in place or it won’t stay put long, the current will work it lose if you try and wedge it in the rocks.
The Acropora…I have no knowledge of..sorry.
Be sure to post some pictures!

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3279630

Congratulations, it's always a joy to get new corals! You can put any corals in a tank as long as you make sure to run carbon and they not touch.
Always give your coral room to bloom and grow, they should not touch each other. Running carbon will make sure they don't shoot poison at each other using the current of the water to sting their neighbors.
Angle your Xenia against other rocks and they will divide and grow upward, when they reach height, flip the rock and make them climb the other way…you will have a nice crop of it that way and control where it grows.
The star polyps are really easy to lift and move. To get them to spread just butt the rocks against each other where you want it to spread, putting it on a nice flat piece of rock will make that even easier and you can get in store credit, sell it, swap it..it frags easy and grows fast, you can control where that grows without much trouble..
Gorgonians need lots of current to keep algae from growing on it, some wants the light some don’t, so google the one you plan to get so you will know if it needs to be in the shade, deeps water sounds like shade but search it out to be sure…it should wiggle in the current not bend over, use crazy glue gel to hold it in place or it won’t stay put long, the current will work it lose if you try and wedge it in the rocks.
The Acropora…I have no knowledge of..sorry.
Be sure to post some pictures!
thank you, and thanks for the advice im wondering if regular superglue will work? also im planning on buying some smaller flat rocks to use like frags, and i will be sure to put pics up asap, and thanks for the advice about the gorgonian

flower

http:///forum/post/3279634
thank you, and thanks for the advice im wondering if regular superglue will work? also im planning on buying some smaller flat rocks to use like frags, and i will be sure to put pics up asap, and thanks for the advice about the gorgonian

The gel is thicker and will form to the rock better...the other is too liquid IMO, but I have read that others have used it though.
For a flat piece of rock get a good sized one like 4 x 6, the GSP will come up like a carpet and you can drape it over another spot to make the tank look nice and full, when you are ready just peel it up and trade it in for something at the LFS. I even used a pagoda cup coral skeleton, it filled it in real nice.

thanks and will do ill pick some up while im at lowes tomorrow from work, by any chance do you know how that rock putty works for live rock?

flower

http:///forum/post/3279644
thanks and will do ill pick some up while im at lowes tomorrow from work, by any chance do you know how that rock putty works for live rock?

I only use the one safe for fish tanks sold in the LFSs, so they are not all the same, some of those putties are only safe after they cure outside the water..
Anyway you have to kneed it in your fingers until it is soft and then stuck to the coral and then to the rock, it does not set instantly and has to stay put for 24 hours before it is real sturdy. I have found that if I bump it later (months) it will pop lose very easy...If you like to move your corals around allot that is a better option, the crazy glue can be tough to get lose sometimes. I had a sea fan that even after it died, I had to use scissors to cut it because the glue would not release, to this day a small bit of it remains.

nycbob

the acro isnt a good idea with gorgonian since they r filter feeder. acros like clean water just like other sps. xenia and gsp should do fine since they like a little bit of nutrient rich water.

ok here is an update, i just got home from a buisness trip today and finally had the time to get my corals, although i had to make a change or two, here is what i ended up getting: mushroom rock, finger coral and pulsing xenia, they arent out yet so i havent taken any pics, but i will as soon as they came out

flower

http:///forum/post/3281971
ok here is an update, i just got home from a buisness trip today and finally had the time to get my corals, although i had to make a change or two, here is what i ended up getting: mushroom rock, finger coral and pulsing xenia, they arent out yet so i havent taken any pics, but i will as soon as they came out

Wonderful..congratulations on your first coral! Waiting for those pictures..

yea i only have one worry so far, i got the pulsing xenias in and they still havent come out, also i got two purple firefish that i cant find in the tank, im worried if they are dead or something, i even checked around the tank and nothing

flower

http:///forum/post/3282078
here is one of the xenias, i dont know why they arent working

Xenia are really hardy, just put them under bright lights and leave them alone, sometimes it takes a week or two for coral to get happy. They are just very stressed. Don't handle corals more than you absolutly must, let them feel safe and out of danger.

lol thanks, as soon as they come out though ill put up pics of them, im hoping that the mushrooms will be easy to frag, at least thats what im told

scott t

Was that a Chocolate chip star I saw in your tank??? I did not think they were reef safe??? I thought they would eat corals?? HMMMM

btldreef

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3283542
Was that a Chocolate chip star I saw in your tank??? I did not think they were reef safe??? I thought they would eat corals?? HMMMM
+1 Good catch! If you want to be successful with corals, especially soft corals such as Xenia, that starfish has to go.
Anyways, what are you water parameters, specifically alkalinity.