Asian pollution blamed for halt in global warming

aquaknight

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/04/us-climate-sulphur-idUSTRE7634IQ20110704
I have always said "why bother" when the conversation turns to climate change, and the need for the US to change it ways. I said even if every American rode their bike to work instead of driving a car, it would have virtually no impact on the climate globally. As once China and India fully modernize and industrialize, anything we do would be a kick in the bucket to was Asia will produce. Guess I was right in a way

mantisman51

Amazing! Pollution is causing, no wait, stopping global warming. The REALLY big news is Boston and Harvard actually admitted there was no global warming. But there will be, they promise! OK global warming lefties, where's the proof of global warming?

darthtang aw

Amazing! Pollution is causing, no wait, stopping global warming. The REALLY big news is Boston and Harvard actually admitted there was no global warming. But there will be, they promise! OK global warming lefties, where's the proof of global warming?
It is now called climate change....
Darth (covering bases) Tang

mantisman51

Yep, whatever happens with the weather, humans cause it, and only an enlightened liberal mind can comprehend the complexities of weather and climate.

reefraff

"Don't fall into the trap, liberals are full of crap"
CO2 emissions have little or no impact on the temp. However if you've ever had a tank in an area where it gets cold and your house is well sealed you know there are other reasons to be concerned about increasing CO2. If we screw up the ocean we're hosed.

darthtang aw

"Don't fall into the trap, liberals are full of crap"

CO2 emissions have little or no impact on the temp. However if you've ever had a tank in an area where it gets cold and your house is well sealed you know there are other reasons to be concerned about increasing CO2. If we screw up the ocean we're hosed.
Might want to dumb this statement down......
Darth (loooking out for the masses) Tang

gemmy

Do people realize that the earth has been going through cycles for millions of years? Ever hear of the ice age? Yes, climate change happens and no we can't stop it. It is just reality. Are we to blame? Maybe (and this is a big maybe) we are to blame for a teeny bit of it.

darthtang aw

Do people realize that the earth has been going through cycles for millions of years? Ever hear of the ice age? Yes, climate change happens and no we can't stop it. It is just reality. Are we to blame? Maybe (and this is a big maybe) we are to blame for a teeny bit of it.
That isn't what al gore says........and he invented the internet.
That's not what the french say, and they expanded on the theory of capitulation.
That isn't what nancy pelosi says, and she proved mary kay wrong.
Darth (best and brightest of today) Tang

flower

I'm not all that good in science..but I must agree with Reefraff, if we kill the ocean it's over for us and every other living thing on the Earth.
How many oil spills, and chemical dumping will it take to kill a planet? That last mess they couldn't cap off for so many months on end was crazy scary to me.

reefraff

Natural oil seeps are the number one cause of oil in the ocean. In fact oil production has reduced them in some areas.
As far as CO2 it is something we need to limit but not by trashing our economy like the left wingers want to do.

N

nihoa

the biggest problem with global warming or climate change or whatever you would like to call it is that the issue is complex and difficult to soundbite for those not interested in investing themselves in understanding it. yes the climate has always naturally warmed and cooled but it is the effects we have on amplifying the magnitude and rate of the next peak that we need to concern ourselves with. the problem with facts is you can always find one to back up what you believe *cough* i.e. creationists.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395679
I'm not all that good in science..but I must agree with Reefraff, if we kill the ocean it's over for us and every other living thing on the Earth.
How many oil spills, and chemical dumping will it take to kill a planet? That last mess they couldn't cap off for so many months on end was crazy scary to me.
You know, all the oil, and the gulf of mexico (a tiny body of water) is none the wiser that there was "catastrophic doom"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihoa
http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395690
the biggest problem with global warming or climate change or whatever you would like to call it is that the issue is complex and difficult to soundbite for those not interested in investing themselves in understanding it. yes the climate has always naturally warmed and cooled but it is the effects we have on amplifying the magnitude and rate of the next peak that we need to concern ourselves with. the problem with facts is you can always find one to back up what you believe *cough* i.e. creationists.
lol, *cough* evolutionists.

mantisman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihoa http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395690
Please explain for my feeble creationist mind how Siberia and Alaska were temperate grasslands that supported large mammals. Please also explain for my weak mind how the temperature was 30-40F warmer than now when there were no cars.. Finally, please explain for my simpleton brain how you can still believe this cr@p when the scientists lied to you and everyone else that it was getting hotter since 2000, when it has now been admitted it is getting cooler? Wherever these leftist scientists go, you follow-and we are the *cough* ignorant?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395746
Please explain for my feeble creationist mind how Siberia and Alaska were temperate grasslands that supported large mammals. Please also explain for my weak mind how the temperature was 30-40F warmer than now when there were no cars.. Finally, please explain for my simpleton brain how you can still believe this cr@p when the scientists lied to you and everyone else that it was getting hotter since 2000, when it has now been admitted it is getting cooler? Wherever these leftist scientists go, you follow-and we are the *cough* ignorant?
How long ago was the Earth 40F warmer than today? (honest question)
I'm pretty sure volcanic activity can produce more than enough greenhouse gasses to warm the atmosphere. From my perspective I think #1 should be removing our dependence on foreign oil permanently. Initially that much mean drill baby drill but something more long term is needed. A combination of fossil & nuclear is a good short term but I think we really should, as a nation, invest in inventing the next generation of energy. We had a perfect opportunity but the stimulus package was wasted on petty local projects. It's a shame. I think the five or six hundred billion we spent to get the economy going would have remade us as a world leader had we spent it on new energy projects.

mantisman51

Just before the last ice age, which is about 12,000 years ago. I agree with you on the alternative energy. I think getting away from fossil fuel would help our national security by not being dependent on foreign powers for our energy and we will have far less need to have a military presence all over the world. See that is where a lot of liberals here misunderstand me. I am all for cutting pollution and weaning us off fossil fuels. I just don't like being lied to by a cabal of leftist scientist.

bang guy

I feel like I'm being pushed (or shoved) out of the Republican party for my conservative beliefs. It leaves me without a political party as I'm certainly not Liberal in a fiscal or social perspective. Libertarian has become closer to conservatism but a pure libertarian policy would be a disaster in today's global economy.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395757
I feel like I'm being pushed (or shoved) out of the Republican party for my conservative beliefs. It leaves me without a political party as I'm certainly not Liberal in a fiscal or social perspective. Libertarian has become closer to conservatism but a pure libertarian policy would be a disaster in today's global economy.
I used to think that, until I started talking more thoroughly to Ron Paulites. Who are simply liberals, who don't like belonging to a large party... It blows my mind, talking to these people, they think they're constitutionalists, while parroting liberals on almost every topic (especially social topics)....

N

nihoa

the 'left vs right' divide in the states is scary as eff. scarier still not that its spilling over here into canada if you look at the way the last election went. the funniest thing about the anti-climate change movement is where is the motive for the scientific community to try and trick the world into believing in global warming? hah, whats the agenda and who is the mysterious 'they' leading the worlds scientists to pulling the wool over your eyes all in an effort to ... improve air quality? the evil of it all!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395746
the same way there are fossilised seashells on mountaintops, geological process. the continents werent always where they are found today. and the rest of your comment proves and neglects everything i said. no one disputes that climate has varied through time, it naturally fluctuates. the problem is amplitude and rate = potential for a greater spike in warming occurring much faster than previous warming events.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/386519/asian-pollution-blamed-for-halt-in-global-warming#post_3395751
How long ago was the Earth 40F warmer than today? (honest question)
I'm pretty sure volcanic activity can produce more than enough greenhouse gasses to warm the atmosphere. From my perspective I think #1 should be removing our dependence on foreign oil permanently. Initially that much mean drill baby drill but something more long term is needed. A combination of fossil & nuclear is a good short term but I think we really should, as a nation, invest in inventing the next generation of energy. We had a perfect opportunity but the stimulus package was wasted on petty local projects. It's a shame. I think the five or six hundred billion we spent to get the economy going would have remade us as a world leader had we spent it on new energy projects.
+1
They should open up federal lands to drilling and apply the lease and royalty payments to energy R&D and things like coal gasification.