At a lost...

deejeff0442

Actually they build a huge tank at a church in north dallas.i stopped in one day at least a year after it was on the show.looks pretty awesome

deejeff0442

I have no idea.i am sure some didnt make it.i am tbinking because the tanks they make are all plastic decor.they bring in filters and some kind of bacteria some one grows on them and put that in there.something we cant get? I would think if they killed fish with ammonia spikes just for the show .the animal cruelty people would be on them.

bang guy

Yeah, they may actually pull it off but I have my doubts.

I've never seen anything indicating the animal rights people give any concern regarding fish cruelty. I think that's mostly limited to our hobby.

flower

On the tv show tanked they add all the fish at once.i always wondered how they got away with that?
They were on a talk show once... The guy said the fish are added later after the cycle, it is just an illusion that they add the fish right away for the shows sake, they edit out time so they can show the finished product. They were asked if they realized that they misguided other people starting in the hobby. The fellow said that was why they agreed to do the interview, to squash misunderstandings. If TV folks don't edit things for time, we wouldn't have all those cooking programs that can cook an entire 3 course meal in 30 minutes...if you listen, the cook tells you the temp, and the time it takes to bake whatever is being put in the oven, then they pull out the finished product. The problem with the show Tanked, is that they don't let their viewers know.

deejeff0442

I havent seen the show in a long time but would love to see some just about thier filter set ups since they dont use live rock.but its like alot of different shows especially home improvement ones.they cater to novice people.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
TANKED explained that they use some sort of commercial bacteria formula. It must work for them otherwise they'd be out of business.

Personally, I cycled my tank with LR and LS and fish food. It never cycled and never had nitrates.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Have they ever shown the same tank a month later?
They set tank up, then (month later) show the stocking. I question that because they travel all over the country to build these tanks. Are they going to make two trips? Maybe.....

jay0705

Tanked are a bunch of idiots. They make it look soo easy and quick. Its not! That said I agree w bang the tank is good to go. If u want clowns add a pair, or another hardy fish of your choice. You should qt all fish but thats a topic for a diff day

Bio Spira works I wouldn't add a lot of fish though, 1 - 3 smalls in a large tank in my opinion.. Record it and measure your ammonia if a dangerous spike occurs call them because that's false advertisement.

Well thanks everyone for the info. Glad people took a min to post. I tested all my levels and are still the same... At zero. I will be adding a few snails and maybe a few hermit crabs. I been ghost feeding and also had a dead shrimp for a few days to cycle. I assume the bacteria and algae prevented from me seeing big spikes. I think I can add a few pieces of CUC.

Tony Jacot

I've only been reefing for a little over a year and one thing i can give you advice on is patience!! Believe me i went into this a little naieve thinkng in a few weeks i would have a beautiful reef developing and my tank would look like the LFS tanks. LOL!!!.. Now just a bit over a year and im just starting to see nice progress and still see new things pop up weekly. It's a fun journey and you will learn so much but only if you can develop patience. Trust me it will pay off!!