atinic lights

robvia

I'm a little confused. Could someone tell me what are atinic lights?
I thought they were the very blue in color lights, but reading somethying else I'm no longer sure.
I thought the blue spectrum was needed for corals and anemones. Is that correct?
Please help.
Thanks,
Rob

scott9311

Actinic bulbs do provide the blue spectrum. They are used not solely because it's good for the corals... but because the blue penetrates further in the water than the more red/yellow colors (which ultimately makes the actinic bulb good for the corals). Another reason is because it looks good in the tank!

robvia

Is the atinic good for things other than corals? Is it healthy for anemones and fish also?
If I just turn on the blue in my tank, I think it looks terrible. If I have the whites on and turn the blue on in addition, I don't really see much difference. I don't have any corals yet, so maybe I'm not getting a good comparison.
I know the blue start slower than the white, so I have heard it cuts down on fish startling, but does that make much of a difference?
Rob

scott9311

Like I said earlier, the actinic light penetrates deeper in your tank than the white light, so that is definitely benficial. But keep in mind that most corals prefer a kelvin rating of around 6500 for it best simulates the spectrum of a mid-day tropical sun. Unfortunately, that temp light doesn't penetrate that deep into our tanks, and you lose it's benefit unless you keep your corals close to the surface. Also, the yellow coloring is not too pleasing to look at. Most reefers prefer 10k (crisp white w/a hint of blue) which is suitable for all corals, supplemented with actinic.

scott9311

Oh... and to answer your last question... It's definitely less stressful for the fish if you bring your actinics on about an hour before your main lights, then reverse the process when shutting them down.

aarone

before you go out and buy "actinic" bulbs...make sure they are true actinic 03's...all the other ones are just blue bulbs

robvia

The lights I have are GE F40T12/AR/SA. They are the GE lights for saltwater aquariums. I can't find anything that says they are atinic 03. What exactly is that and why is it better?

kjord97

Oh... and to answer your last question... It's definitely less stressful for the fish if you bring your actinics on about an hour before your main lights, then reverse the process when shutting them down.

I have moonlighting on my tank. I have a 20 gallon reef set up. I have the dual daylight 10k and dual actinics. also have 2 (5) watt moonlight leds. i have the coraline surge protector with timer. so when the switch happens with the lights, it goes from moon light to the day and actinics. so do you think i still need to turn on my blues a little early. so the process would go from moon to blue to all. just asking :thinking:

robvia

I understand that all the classifications pinpoint the spectrum of light. What is it about atinic 03 that is different from say 10,000K? Do flouresents have a color temp rating? Is that rating the same as a metal halide? Anotherwords, does a 10,00K MH have the same color as a 10,000K VHO? Forget about watts and lumens right now and just think about color.
Thanks,
Rob

samantha68

sorry to jump in but i read 5-8 watts per gallon...do they have to be lights bought at pet store aquarium bulbs for the watts or to gain more watts can you use say garage strips with reg tube bulbs?just to gain more watts

robvia

If you are trying to get corals and things to grow, it's the color of the light that will help the most. Garage lights don't put out the right color spectrum to help your inhabitants.

samantha68

ok thank you ,i just keep hearing that you need 5-8 watts per gallon so i wasn't sure just for watts if they would work then add the proper (colour lights) on aswell..
i don't know how people get all that light/watts where do you put your lights ? ,there is little space on the top of my tank just enough for the double strip light,if you still want to be able to get in the tank to feed etc

scott9311

Samantha... Check out the DIY section, and you can get some ideas on building a canopy that can house your lights and provide access for feeding and maintanence. I'm just finishing up building a stand and canopy that holds two 250w metal halides, two 110w VHO super actinic bulbs, moonlights, and provides me with easy access into my 120 gal tank.

samantha68

ok i will thank you..when i got my tank i just got the tube stand and by husband is building me a base around it plus the canopy i just need to get his butt moving on it ...lol