Bad fishie go bye bye

jonnywater

So I did my research. I found out that Grammas and Basslets are both supposed to be safe with Wrasses (the reef safe ones including six line). So I purchased one today and everything started off GREAT!!!! Purchased a 6 line that is. About two hours into the six lines addition to the tank, it attacked THE LIVING HE
out of my gramma and my black cap basslet. Would not stop chasing them. It got a tinnie tiny bit of the black cap's tail then I removed it and donated it to the local fish store.

S

scoobs

Hmm.. not good news.. was thinking about getting one of those..

froznfinn

the 6 line wrasse is usually a good addition to any reef tank..althrough listed as compatible the 6 line wrasse will sometimes become agressive especially with fish similar in shape...ex. my 6 line not the ever loving out of my fairy wrasse..unfortunately both
fish were extremely hard to catch and my fairy wrasse did not make it..

hun25

My 6 line is a bully too! I thought he was going to kill my orchid dottyback but eventually he left him alone. The dottyback to this day hides in the rock and only darts out to nab some food.

jonnywater

There are about a 100 things that factor into whether a fish will bother another one though. The biggest that I am finding out is areas they are interested in eating, and eating habits. Like both black caps and six lines love to pick at live rock in crevices. I dont believe that fish have the ability to play rock, paper, scissors over who gets what side of the tank, LOL. Also size. The black cap attempted to make itself look bigger by opening his mouth about 2 inches. When some people put labels on these fish, one of the labels should be - "semi-agressive. Will defend it's territory. But then usually has his ARSE HANDED TO HIM in the event that he tries".
That post about the dottyback I dont get. Why would you want a fish that couldnt act as it does in the wild? Sure it is cool looking, but living out its days terrified to come out from a rock hole doesnt really seem natural.

hun25

jonnywater, That is exactly my point! I dont want a fish to have to hide or live in an environment where they are scared to come out! If I could catch the poor thing I would most certainly give it to someone who could give it a better environment! I posted my experience with the 6 line to maybe prevent this from happening to someone else!

travis89

I used to have a 6 line with an orchid dottyback that was introduced at the same time but if anything the dottyback was territorial against the 6 line. I don't have to worry about it anymore though since my 6 line decided to jump out for some reason, but I didn't think that it was normal for them to jump out, or is it?

ophiura

How big was the tank? In a larger system I wouldn't consider it a problem but probably in anything under 55g it could be. But fish definitely have different personalities.

corally

Originally Posted by connor
wow i had a six line before i moved and he never botherd ANYTHING :thinking:

ditto.

angelofish

Fish are like people. Some are cool and some can be real jerks.
You could switch the 6 line and the new one wouldn't bother any of the others or turn out to be a jerk too. My gramma beat my 6 line when I first got him. Now everything is cool. He completelys ignores the other fish.