bang guy or other bengaii experts!

opazen

i did a silly thing and i bought two bengaii on a whim... this is not common practice for me but the two seemed to be freindly towards eachother so i bought them. later i found out that they were only recently put in the tank at the fish store and i found the two, or rather the larger of the two to be very agressive. So i exchanged him for another hoping on the 50 50 chance it would be a she. The question is for experts because i hear that it is difficult to tell. How do you --- your bengaiis? I read that it was something in the jaw but i dont know what to look for. To complicate things i have to go out of town so id like to resolve this problem asap. the replacement bengaii and the other are on opposite sides of the tanks as i type so i dont know what to do.
thanks in advance
adam

bang guy

If they are at opposite ends of the tank I would guess them to be two males. Try a search on "Banggai" and my name and you should find the "Fish of the Week" post I did months ago.

opazen

Guy,
weve spoken before you and i. i am the one who knows roger bull in tucson arizona. my offer to buy your plane ticket here still stands if youll bring me a nice little school of banggais haha. thanks for the reply. i was wondering if i should get rid of both and start fresh or get rid of one and buy a few more. let me know what you think.

bang guy

Originally posted by jwtrojan44
Guy,
I defer to your expertise, but responded just the opposite to the post in the fish forum.

Keep in mind that we're both guessing at this point. The odds are good that they are of the same gender and that's about it.
Your guess is as good as mine IMO.
If they are both male one will be dead as soon as they figure out who is dominant, a few weeks perhaps.

bang guy

In my experience if the males are different sizes then it takes about .01 seconds for them to figure out who's dominant. If they are both full grown adults they posture for a while before raging into battle.