Bangai cardinals

rt101

Hi guys and gels

I have a cardinal with a mouth full of eggs.
What is the chances of the young ones surviving my tank.

Regards

bang guy

It depends on the number of hiding spaces and the tank mates. They can survive just fine if there are few predators and some crevices to hide from the parents.

rt101

I have 4 of then, 1 sail fin tang. 2 clowns, 2 fire shrimps, 2 peppermint shrimps and a few corals

bang guy

The Shrimp are going to be really good at catching Baby Banggai unless they make it to that Torch Coral.

rt101

Is this sign of them about to hatch or just of the eggs ageing? I also separated him into a breeder net. Any further advise?

bang guy

The eggs are just aging. He will eat any dead eggs so no worries there. Once you see them swimming inside his mouth they can come out anytime. Be sure to remove him after he spits them all out because he hasn't eaten in several months and will be starving.

Sometimes, after the fish have hatched, he will spit them all out immediately if you take his hiding place and chase him around a bit with a net and catch him. It's stressful for him but it allows you to remove him from the babies before he starts hunting them.

rt101

Sorry for so many questions. I see little eyes in his mouth. How long do I wait till i try and get him to spit them all out?

rt101

I have Macrovore Macrodiet from Brightwell Aquatics.
I have Micron Powdered food from Sera
I have frozen lobster eggs
I have frozen Artemia and Mysis shrimp
That is what i have available. Which will be the best and how much/ Often?

bang guy

Lobster eggs are perfect. I agree that 2 - 4 times a day is good, especially morning & evening.

Occasionally newborn Banggai won't eat frozen food. If that's the case you can either just feed the lobster eggs and let some starve or you can get ahold of some brine shrimp eggs and start hatching them.

Even if you do manage to find some brine shrimp don't allow them to feed on them too long or they will suffer from Sudden Fright Syndrome which can be heartbreaking.

Do not ever feed Banggai flaked food.