Beginner Corals?

First of all, I want to thank you all for replying to my post and helping me out throughout this entire process. I have learned a lot of do's and dont's, and I thank you all for helping me out.
My question is..What is a good coral to start out with? Easiest to take care of and really hardy. I want to buy some but I don't want it to be a waste if I can't keep it alive. I was thinking about...ricordeas or zoos?

tdog7879

Originally Posted by Clownfanatic55
http:///forum/post/3152099
First of all, I want to thank you all for replying to my post and helping me out throughout this entire process. I have learned a lot of do's and dont's, and I thank you all for helping me out.
My question is..What is a good coral to start out with? Easiest to take care of and really hardy. I want to buy some but I don't want it to be a waste if I can't keep it alive. I was thinking about...ricordeas or zoos?

how old is your tank? what size? what type of lighting?
When i started with corals..the first coral i got was a stripped mushroom coral and some xenia and some zoas.

sickboy

mushrooms and zoas are a good start. rics take a little more attention, but not much. Most any soft coral are easy to take care of and will be fine. What is the wattage on your light?

tdog7879

Originally Posted by Clownfanatic55
http:///forum/post/3152108
2 months old, 55 gallon, and Power compact, One fluorescent, and actinic.
i stick with the mushrooms,zoas,and some soft corals. all though the zoas will prolly lose color do to your light. As soon as you get any coral in there your going to want more!!! Trust me!! So i would look into getting a better light fixture. I use the nova extreme 6x54 t-5 and i can pretty much keep any coral in there. They cost about 300-350.

Hmm...that might be a good christmas present, I bought it used for $100 from my LFS, regular price was $200. I upgraded to the T5 bulb, 10000K

mantisman51

You can get a decent 4-6 bulb t5 ho on the auction site for about $100-$125. I have one and it has worked well on zoas, shrooms, xenias & gsp. I also have a 250 watt mh and can attest to how good the t5 unit is compared to the mh.

btldreef

I'd stay away from Ricordia for your first coral. They're a little tough.
Here would be my recommendations:
Torch, Frogspawn, Hammer, Mushrooms (regular, not rics), Lobophyllia, Open Brain, Polyps.
I have had no success with Xenia so I can't speak for them.