best canister filter?

n2theblue

I use a fluval on my 29 gal reef and I really like it. I know some disagree, but I find it simple to use and easy to maintain/change media. They are also very quiet and relatively inexpensive.

mandarin w

I like the XP2 for a 29. They are also easy to run and take care of. Most of the canisters they are comeing out with lately are very simular, so it really doesn't matter. Just look for one that is rated for more that what your tank is, It is not uncommon for the companies to over rate thier equipment.

anonome

I would go with a fluval 304....more filter than you need, but you can never have too much current, filtration in a salt tank, especially if you want to have a reef. I think they have a newer version of the 304 out now. :notsure:
They are quiet, easy to run and maintain.....a big bonus, you will be changing the media every 30 days. I have one (404) to run carbon, phosphate media etc. Just rinse the filter foam out and reuse, or keep back up foam pads for quicker cleaning. I absolutely love these canisters. I ran one (304) on my 46g salt tank for years, no problems. I haven't had any problems with this one either.

gmidd

Hagen has out the 05 series now. I did ALOT of reseach and Fluval seems to have the best reviews so I went with Fluval 305. Quite and easy maintainance for canisters.

cnall

I know the fluval are a great buy but I know someone that is offering a cascade at a great price; is it worth it or would I be better off going with the Fluval. Both are pretty equal and almost double what my tank needs. Thanks

N

nereef

the h.o.t. magnum 250 is the easiest canister filter to work with, imo.

anonome

Originally Posted by richie1742
what is the best canister filter for a 25 gallon reef?
Have you bought your filter yet? There is someone in the classified section on this forum that has a 304 fluval for $50.00. That is a very good price.