Best Lighting 70Gal Reef Tank

weiser

Whats the best lighting for a 70 gallon reef tank 36x18x26=LxWxH
If money was no option . The works.

ajwaters

if i had my choice w/$$$ not an problem. I have a 90g now so this is what is in my mind but i'm sure it would be good for a 70
Two 2 MH 250
Two VHO (blues)
and some good timers.

jedi

Money no option..HMMMMMM
2 250 watt MH on timers
440 wat vho, 2 white 2 blue, both having seperate balasts both on seperate timers
4-6 led dimable moonlights in the 470nm range, again on timers.ant remember the name but some kind of luna something. it simulates the moon cycle.
2-3 cooling fans
High reflective aluminum or stainless(mounted in hood or canopy) to add to the reflectivity of the lights.
seems like a good one to me.

syres1

the brand is really up to you but go with at least 500 watts of white light. 2 x 250 that is and 2x blue, and extra moon light would be great too

weiser

Thanks guys it sound like im going to have to purchase lights seperately and not all in one fixture.

blemmy_guy

this is what you want just a little shorter, if you will leave your e-mail address ill send you the site to look at, i think there just about the best made lights around, and you wont have to add a thing, they have everything , metal halides, True Actinic 03 Blue square-pin compact fluorescent s, and the moon lights. hers a pic of mine, its 72 inches though.

promisetbg

I prefer the Ushio MH's...I have 2 X 250 10 K over my 75,w/ 4 X 110 URI super actinic VHO's..the VHO's are on a single 660 icecap ballast,and the MH's each run off a Blueline E-ballast.These ballast put out no extra heat,and are energy efficient.Although a little pricier to begin with,they save on your electric bill in the longrun.
I have seen Hamiltons,and Iwasaki's used..and still prefer the Ushio's.I have also seen 20 K's used at work,and prefer my 10 K's.

blemmy_guy

you bet firedad, its on its way! and Fishcake yes it comes with 3 ballasts and has built in cooling fans todd

blemmy_guy

lol, your not a kiddin, since i put those new lights on im going thru about 5 gallons a week, from evaporation!!!! didnt expect that much. todd

scoobydoo

Todd, once you add your eggcrate, shouldn't that cut down on the evaporation? You're my guinea pig you know!:D

blemmy_guy

Thanx alot!!! i was going to this weekend... but i kinda spent my money elsewhere! lol, so payday is this friday, hope to get it then. Ill keep ya up on it. Todd

promisetbg

"Eggcrate" is what they call the ceiling plastic used for drop ceilings.It is available at stores like HD and at aquarium supply stores too.

scoobydoo

Do you have to use eggcrate? Is it clear plastic or cloudy? I'm wondering if you can use screen like in a screen door to keep your fish from jumping out but not effect the light.

promisetbg

It is white.If you use screen it will affect the light.Screen is often used in layers to introduce stronger lighting to a tank.The layers are taken away every few days until they are all removed.Can't you build a canopy to prevent fish from jumping?Or are you setting up a light hanging from above the tank?

scoobydoo

I'm not sure. I wanted to order a Hamilton light hood that has 3 350 MH and 4 55w PC which look very similar to the one Blemmy has. My husband has decided he wants to make them for me. He's looking at canopies now but I really don't want the hassle of a canopy. I think they look bulky and I think it would be a hassle to feed and do maintenance on my tank. My husband is very capable of building anything and doing electrical and he wants to save money. He's also very anal and a perfectionist and I don't have the patience to wait for him.