Best RO/DI unit?

Pisces28

I am looking to purchase an RO/DI unit and wondering which is recommended? I have a 29 gallon tank. it has to be an under the sink unit preferably with a spout because I live in an apartment and don't need one for the whole house. Also, better to get a 4 stage or 5 stage system? and is a storage tank necessary? any suggestions?

mauler

Air, water and ice makes good units that can be connected to just about any water source. just about all ro/di units are 4 stage but the extra filtration is nice but I don't think it's necessary.
You don't necessarily need a storage tank but it's good idea to keep some ro/di water around for top offs or just incase you need to mix up some salt water in a hurry. I usually keep two five gallon buckets of it sitting around at all times.

Pisces28

is it necessary to use RODI water or can just RO water be used as well? reason I am asking is because if I'm already going to install this in the house then it might as well be used for drinking also

mauler

Air, water and ice makes portable units if you don't want it permanently hooked up to your water line.
It's not 100% necessary but that depends on who ask and how good or bad your water source is to begin with but ro water will work if you choose to do that.

seecrabrun

Do you have a washer in your apartment? If so you can get a garden hose splitter and attach it to the cold water pipe for the laundry. That's what I did.

Ignore the red handle and left side placement, this is the cold water. Apparently the plumber who put this in was drunk lol
IMG_20150129_191742254-resized.jpg

1guydude

+1 I run a 5stage air water and ice.
Hose adapter hooks it up outside to the hose tap. TDS Meter is a must and a pressure gauge helps at 1st. So u can get an idea of incoming pressure and whether or not ull need a booster pump or fi d it cost worthy...Air water and ice can help u with watever set up u need though ask them, send em pix, ect.
DI resin absorbs wat ro membranes can't catch and makes water purest of the pure.
0 - 2 tds is best.
I run overkill for my area. My incoming water is usually 30 or so tds. Most ppl run a sediment, carbon block, and either ro or di.
I'm using both and 2 carbon blocks. One of em smaller micron.
Hths
D

Pisces28

thanks! i do not have a washer in the apartment.
I am learning about these units, as I am new to the hobby.

From my understanding, RO without the DI is not enough for the tank, but RO/DI water is no good for drinking.
So what my bf plans to do is set up an RO 4 stage unit, and get a DI unit separately with a bypass valve. This way we can turn the DI water on when we need it, for water changes and what not.

Any suggestions on a good RO 4 Stage unit besides the ones mentioned?

seecrabrun

I personally use buckeye hydro and have been very pleased, their customer service is great and they can make up a unit to whatever needs you have.

snakeblitz33

Nothing wrong with drinking pure water. If it was bad, they would not sell zero TDS water at Walmart for $0.39/gallon as drinking water.

The argument against pure drinking water is that it doesn't contain trace minerals like calcium and magnesium. But tap water also contains medications, disinfectants, flouride, chloramines, chlorine and dirt/sediments and biofilm. I would rather drink pure water and get my minerals from my diet.

snakeblitz33

My TDS of my tap water is anywhere between 400-1500. That's why I have a 9 stage RO/DI unit. I prefer to have over filtered than under filtered.

chrisely24

I have a 4 stage from Spectrapure, it was a refurbished unit about 124 dollars. I have it plumbed under my kitchen sink. i got the on/off valve and the drain tube from Home Depot to hook it up.

Kwassing

Drinking pure RO water wont exactly kill you, but prolong drinking of it may make you sick. The thing with RO water, is there are no more minerals in the water and that makes it very aggressive. Pure RO water will eat metal pipes from the inside out in no time. Anyone that has worked on cars for years and has used RO water knows exactly what I am talking about. Makes your hands peel from pulling minerals out of your skin. If it does that to the outside of your skin, imagine what it would do inside your body with prolonged drinking.

Kwassing

thats why i said it "may". Im not sure what the effects are, but i wouldnt recommend it. Knowing what it does to pipes and outer skin lol

snakeblitz33

I've never had it damage my skin. Ever.

It will rust metal, but that's because of oxydation and reduction reactions.

mauler

thats why i said it "may". Im not sure what the effects are, but i wouldnt recommend it. Knowing what it does to pipes and outer skin lol
But they sell ro water at Wal-Mart and other grocery stores and I'm sure majority of the people buying the water aren't using for fish tanks.

Kwassing

its not meant to be consumed. I believe it will say so on the label. Do as you wish, but as someone who installs commercial RO units in starbucks, I will never drink pure RO water.