Biofilter and Carbon causing problem???

coralgyrl

Here is the earlier question: Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has experienced what appears to be spiderwebs growing on live rock? I have not recently added any new live rock, just 2pcs of white coral and green macro algae. Ammonia is 0, Nitrates and Nitrites at 0, temp 78 & salinity .023. What is causing this? Inverts and fish are just fine. Thanks! Just remembered, this problem did not arise until I started using the biofilter and carbon. Could this be the problem? :cool:

dad

another posibility...i had a Condylactis anemone that once excreted a milky substance.
it floated about my tank and cought on my lr. it looked like a web and if i hadn't seen it, i would wonder what it was!
this might be the case, might not.
in any case, i wouldn't worry about it very much if all else is fine.

dad

i couldn't answer that. i would just be guessing.
i do not see how it would be causing the webs, but again; i'm guessing.sorry

coralgyrl

No Cleaner Wrasses at all. This is what is inside the tank: 1- Lion Dwarf Fish, 4 Damsels, 1- Choc. Chip Starfish, 2 Bristle Stars, 2 Florida Anemones and 4 Mushrooms. 25 Turbo Snails & 44- Hermit Crabs.

burnnspy

I don't use carbon and don't know why anyone does. Maybe some one can fill me in, my water is crystal clear without and I know it removes some trace elements.
BurnNSpy

coralgyrl

I talked it over with a gut that has been using carbon in his tank for the last 14 yrs. However, I have talked to several other people in the hobby who do not use carbon either. I have decided to remove the carbon, because since I have put it in, I have been seeing spider webs. :D

deep blue

BurnNSpy: I use carbon form time to time because it does help remove everything from the water. When I stair down the barrel of my six foot tank I can notice a marked difference. Crystal clear after the application. In fact, when I use carbon my protein skimmer doesn't pick up a thing. However, I normally only leave the carbon in for two week to minimize the removal of trace elements. I do think that there are advantages to this practice.