blue carpet, after 1 month

jacksonpt

Well, I've had my blue carpet for just over a month now.
Here's a pic of him miserable and starving after lots of neglect at the LFS.

jacksonpt

and here's a pic of him now. He's almost trippled in size, and his tentacles are very, very sticky (they weren't sticky at all when I got him). He eats like a pig. He's got some sand on him from some cleaning I did yesterday. I played around with the colors to get them as accurate as I could, but the background colors are way off.

blk822

Looks great, I hope you have as good a luck with yours as I did with mine. I moved mine last month about 12" and after a week it decieded to move right back to it's original spot. It even moved a rock to get there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What lighting are you using for him?
These anemones sure have stunning color don't they.

blk822

I have a 75 gal. and I used 4 110 watt vho's for a long time. Now I'm trying 6 110 watt vho's to see if it makes a difference.

schneidts

Wow, looks great! Vestal, huh. I live in Port Crane. Staying warm tonight? What LFS do you like around here, Jacksonpt?

jacksonpt

Originally posted by Beth
What lighting are you using for him?
These anemones sure have stunning color don't they.

I love them. The blue carpet replaced a green carpet I had that outgrew my tank - they are both wonderful animals. Currently he's under a 250w Iwasaki halide (6500k). I'm hoping to add 150w VHO actinic soon.

jacksonpt

Originally posted by schneidts
Wow, looks great! Vestal, huh. I live in Port Crane. Staying warm tonight? What LFS do you like around here, Jacksonpt?

There are 3 places locally that do saltwater.
Nature's Best Fish
Located on RT 26S in Vestal is my favorite. Not the greatest selection, and not the best prices, but Rick (the owner, the only one who works there) is in it because he loves saltwater... not to make money. His livestock is usually very healthy, he knows his stuff, and he won't sell you something just to make money.
Creature Comforts
Located in the Nortgate Plaza in Bingamton. Depending on who you talk to, you may get someone who knows nothing, or someone who knows quite a bit. Rick, the owner, knows a lot, but some of the other employees wouldn't know a tang from a goldfish. Their prices are much better, but I've had little success with their livestock.
Pet Stop
Located in the Binghamton Plaza. A total dump. They have excellent prices, and an OK selection, but their tanks look awful, and are usually very cramped. I've only talked with on person on one occasion, about LR. Supposedly the LR was cured, but my tank sure didn't think so when I got it home. Big disaster, so I don't trust them any further than I can throw them. I won't buy livestock simply because of the way they keep their tanks.
I generally only do business with Rick at Nature's Best Fish. He's a good guy, local business man, in it for the love of the hobby, not just to make money. I will on occasion go to Creature Comforts for dry goods if I can't get them from Nature.

jacksonpt

Originally posted by blk822
heres mine under 4 110 watt vhos 2 actinic white and 2 03 actinics.

I'm sure part of the color difference between our carpets is the lighting, but what are you feeding yours, and how long have you had it? I'd like to enhance the color in mine a bit.

mr. tuna

Thants really beautifull!!!! Do you think that a 4x65 watt can handle one of those carpet anenomes??

schneidts

Thanks jacks,
I'm very familiar with the three you mentioned. Natures best is my fav also. Rick is a good guy to do business with. He also has a website now-the store name.com I have had bad experiences with creature comforts, although I have been known to go in and get an overpriced dry item or two. And as for Pet Stop, I'm surprised they can keep animals alive in there. I was hoping you knew of a place on the ouskirts of Vestal or Endicott.:) Thanks though-

jacksonpt

Originally posted by MR. Tuna
Thants really beautifull!!!! Do you think that a 4x65 watt can handle one of those carpet anenomes??

How many total watts, how many gallons, and how tall is the tank?