blue hippo tang swimming out of water

hi guys/gals, i got a new hippo today and have him in my QT now after the bag floated for about 5 hours (at work, wife will float but wont acc for me). i acclimated him for about a hour and a half, after going in the QT of course he went right to the bottom and played dead for about 5 min. after he got a little less stressed he has been doing some things ive never seen befor. such as, spitting out of the water and swimming his upper half (mouth to eyes) out of the water (swimming up, stays in place). the spitting is just funny but is he gasping for air trying to swim out of the water? my QT water levels are ammonia 0 ppm, nitite 0 ppm, nitrate 5ppm, water temp 80F, and spec grav 1.023
please give me some anwsers quick to i can doctor him up befor bed thanks

i float the bag for at least 30 min, then i open the bag and put (pour slowly)about a shot glass of tank water into the bag, every 15 min for 1 hour (4 times). he is alive and looking good this morning, still trying to swimmout of water. hope hes alive when i come home

meowzer

I acclimate the same way as above (the bag way)....Have never lost a fish doing that
IDK why your fish is doing that....do you have plenty of circulation and oxygen exchange??

it is just a 10G tank for QT. i have a filter and a airstone going. there is water movment (food dont stay in one place) and lots of air exchange, filter water is hitting surface of water dead on. the tang is still alive and looks fine, not doing either tonight spitting or swimming out of water. i should have taken a video last night
. i hope it starts doing it again (spitting) i even named him Sputum. anyone else have any ideas?

smoothie

How new was the water in it? Is it a constantly running established qt?
May just be really stressed. Fish take things different ways. Keep th lights off and see if it mellows him out and calms down his breathing

Originally Posted by gravismaximus
http:///forum/post/3239315
hi guys/gals, i got a new hippo today and have him in my QT now after the bag floated for about 5 hours (at work, wife will float but wont acc for me). i acclimated him for about a hour and a half, after going in the QT of course he went right to the bottom and played dead for about 5 min. after he got a little less stressed he has been doing some things ive never seen befor. such as, spitting out of the water and swimming his upper half (mouth to eyes) out of the water (swimming up, stays in place). the spitting is just funny but is he gasping for air trying to swim out of the water? my QT water levels are ammonia 0 ppm, nitite 0 ppm, nitrate 5ppm, water temp 80F, and spec grav 1.023
please give me some anwsers quick to i can doctor him up befor bed thanks

Hippo Tangs are known for their antics when first being introduced into your aquarium. Curious parameters though. I'd keep a close eye on your temperature

tacks

I'm not sure this is related but I had a Flame Angel do the exact same thing while I was drip acclimating (gasping for air/swimming on the surface). When I finally introduced him to the tank, after about 4 days, I found him laying on his side. I returned him and got a replacement fish with no problems since. Good luck to you.

ericjn

I used to have a porc puffer who did the same thing. The first fish I ever had so I used to upgrade everything as I went on.... He did it to get attention for food, lol this was before I got a lid. I brought a date home one night and she was sitting on the couch watching my fish and sure enough he rose to the top and spit water right on her... one of the funniest thing Ive ever seen. Great fish I miss him