blue hippo vs. damsel

our gang

I just got a blue hippo today from swf. My damsel keeps chasing it all over the tank. should I flush the damsel or will they work it out? The damsel is bigger than the hippo and I would rather have the hippo than the damsel if I have to choose.

ophiura

2 letters:
Q T
One of the reasons to QT is to allow a fish to become settled without such chasing.
I know people will be annoyed with me for this, but please do not "flush" a fish. You have a responsibility, regardless of how valuable a fish is, to find a new home, provide for it, or at the very least dispose of it in a more humane manner.
This may seem like an overreaction, but I can't stand the "flush it" comments for an animal that is doing nothing abnormal. That is what damsels do. And it is entirely possible it will stress out the tang.
Try turning the lights out and rearranging the rockwork for now.

brandoncena

yea flush that son of a bit*h lol my damsels just killed my tellow tang and they are now working on my corral beauty im getting rid of them

our gang

I have two blue devil damsels. I've already tried to catch them but they are too quick. I'm thinking about pulling all of my live rock out to catch them. It may be faster. I'll probably put them in a bowl and take them to the lfs tomorrow. even my algae blennie is picking on him.

ophiura

This is normal behavior for damsels, and why people often discourage keeping them.
Also, it is tempting to accuse animals of killing fish, far easier to do than considering it died for some other reason. But it is best to consider that the fish died for some reason before jumping to the "it was killed" line. It is important to look at the big picture so as not to miss something that may cause other fish to die.
I would encourage considering tank size, age, parameters etc...or more fish will die.

our gang

no fish have died yet. I'm just trying to prevent my blue hippo from dying. I have now caught the damsels and will take them to the lfs tomorrow. All I was saying is I would rather have the hippo than the damsels.
My tank is a 150 and it has been set up for over a year. I have lost one fish in that time and don't know what caused that. currently the amm-0, nitrates-0, ph-8.2 and nitrites are at 60. I don't plan on any fish dying, that is why I'll get rid of the damsels

laxplaya

DAMNsels suck!!!! i spent 40 dollars to get the damn thing out and i had to rearrange the rock!!! i threw mine in the toilet and to make sure it didnt survive i poured in some Hydrogen Peroxide...instant death.

our gang

DA#N, I didn't mean to start an arguement. I just wanted to know if it was better to pull the damsel out. I have been considering pulling them out for awhile now, Used them to start the cycle and they actually lived thru it. So I felt obligated to keep them until now. They were getting along with everybody until I put my pearlscale butterfly and blue hippo in today. thank you all for the input.
BTW, what's more humane than flushing? .......SUSHI?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by LAXplaya
DAMNsels suck!!!! i spent 40 dollars to get the damn thing out and i had to rearrange the rock!!! i threw mine in the toilet and to make sure it didnt survive i poured in some Hydrogen Peroxide...instant death.

I think that some of the methods of disposing of some of these damsels is diplorable. I mean flushing and then adding HYDROGEN PEROXIDE? Like Ophi said, for a teratorial fish that is just doing its normal behaviour and #2 Like Ophi said again, "How did it get in your tank in the first place?" Or was it a hitchhiker? lol This might also constitute as some sort of fish abuse and results in irresponsible hobbyists and the general overfishing of the coral reef, no matter how mundane you see it. my 2 cents

rbaldino

Originally Posted by ophiura
Gee, I just don't know how they got in your tank to begin with

So true.
There's enough information out there about damsels for people to make intelligent decisions about getting them. If you're worried about the potential consequences, don't get one to begin with. If you want one, be smart about when you get them and what you keep them with. And flushing is never an acceptable solution. I wonder how these people would feel if someone flushed them? There are certainly people out there who deserve it...

ophiura

I am just tired of the complaints about damsels when people PUT them in the tank to begin with...just take a bit of responsibility here, that's all.
Catch them and trade them in, no big deal, but otherwise I have little sympathy for the problem and even less for the flushing solution. It isn't shocking. Heck, damsels attack SCUBA divers in the wild (and it can hurt!)
So yes, if they are nippy and you are concerned, trade them back to the LFS - find another tank, or put them in a refugium.

miaheatlvr

Except for my green chromis, he is such a nice little fish with alot of personality, very innocuous. Cant immagine him hurting a fly BUT maybe a copepod! lol

rbaldino

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Except for my green chromis, he is such a nice little fish with alot of personality, very innocuous. Cant immagine him hurting a fly BUT maybe a copepod! lol

I have a green chromis as well and love him, though he is capable of being a bully, even to something as "evil" as a yellowtail damsel. Truth is, there are a lot of fish capable of taking over a tank and bullying new arrivals.

si12ius

only thing I dont like about my damsels is that they hide out in the rock work all day! I never get to see them.

laxplaya

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
I think that some of the methods of disposing of some of these damsels is diplorable. I mean flushing and then adding HYDROGEN PEROXIDE? Like Ophi said, for a teratorial fish that is just doing its normal behaviour and #2 Like Ophi said again, "How did it get in your tank in the first place?" Or was it a hitchhiker? lol This might also constitute as some sort of fish abuse and results in irresponsible hobbyists and the general overfishing of the coral reef, no matter how mundane you see it. my 2 cents
it was only the last of the 6 suckers i did this to. The first 5 went right into the trap but this last one i had to buy hooks bait and on and on until i finally took out the rock and netted him. The first 5 were returned to the LFS.

murph

simple answer is remove the damsel. Easier said than done I know. Take him to any pet store that carries SW fish and drop him off free of charge. Never seen an lfs that dos not have a tank of damsels.

andy51632

I think we missed something here, did you say your nitrites are at 60. I hope you met your nitrates but even that is way to high. This could cause serious damage to any newcomer in the tank that is not used to such a high nitrate load.