Blue Tang w/ BAADDDD case of ich...suggestions

braad

so within a few hours my blue tang came down with a HORRBILE case of ich. its everywhere. from the tip of its fin to its eyes. its horrible. i bought some kick ich today at my local fish supply store and i just startedthat. any other suggestions.
parameters are fine. its a fairly new tank. just a bluetang, marroon clown, cleaner shrimp, snails, and 80-90 pounds of liverock.

jaime5150

my powder blue tang also came down with a horible case of ick, other fish have a few spots, but the tang, holly cow tons of ick. I am currently setting up a QT for the fish. Read about it in the FAQ thread.

wildclown

i just had a real run in with ick too i baught a powder blue from the LFS and when i got it home three days later it had ick . i lost my whole tank exept one blue chromis and a sailfin tang the rest were taken over b4 i could get my quarintine tank up and running. now i am trying hypo salinization to cue it . by the way i must tell you that i baught kent marine ick treatment to try and combat the parisite and sadly i lost all but the two i mentioned above. the hyposalinity seems too be working gerat though i recomend that. if you need help with what that is it it in the FAQ of the treatment thred. i hope you can save your fish. and best of luck.

wildclown

oops forgot to mention but i think you might already know. you need to do this in a tank with no inverts or corals. just the fish and maybe a little liverock to make them feel a little more homey.

braad

A friend told me to try hyposalinity, i just dont have the time to do that right now. If i have to i will but this kick ich is doing a good job, theres no sign of anything on my blue tang today and i put the first dose of the med in yesterday. hopefully this stuff will pull through and take care of my problem.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Kick ich won't work. If you read the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum, and the post there on ich, you will see that the ich life cycle includes a stage of seemingly disappearing. It will come back.

george16u

i had the same problem with my hippo tang. i also got the kick ich medication and it did not work also, so i tried something more natural. i soaked my food with galic extreme by kent and i also purchased a six line wrase just for the hell of it. i was reading in some forum that this guy also had a hippo tang with a server case of ich and the fish quit eating so he went out and purchased a six line wrasse. within 2 days the fish was almost clean of ich and he was eating again. i didnt let my hippo go that long and went out and got one the next day. i put him in my tank and saw him cleaning my hippo the next day. i also have a cleaner shrimp in the tank which was in there long before i purchased the wrasse. give it a shot! hope you get rid of the ich!!!!

oceana

if you dont want to/or can't remove him and keep him in a medicated quarantine tank for the next few weeks, I think your best bet is getting 3-4 cleaner shrimp- In my reef I cannot catch the fish and my tang would not have made it through his outbreak of ich if not for the 5 cleaner shrimp in my tank- Its really near to watch them in action too IMO

firedog

I can't catch my blue tang either. I have 2 cleaner shrimp and for the first time today I saw one trying to clean the tang. I also have a six line wrasse, but I didn't know they were cleaners too. I haven't seen him try to clean up the tang at all. I just started kick ich today, hopefully it helps because the ich is getting worse. I realize people say it won't work but maybe it will give the tang some more time until the shrimp can help him out.

nemo's mom

Listen to Beth. I had my first case of Ich as well. The LFS sold me some Kick Ich. It seemed to work initially...did the whole treatment, thought I was going to make it...boom, next thing I know I come home from work and my 2 Clowns are so covererd in Ich I don't think they're going to make it. The little guys is swimming vertically-I tried lowering the salt in the QT tank I threw together. I ordered a refractometer but I won't be in for a few days to really try the hypo.
You really need to QT, especially if you have coral etc. I know Kick Ich says it's Reef safe but I almost lost my anemone AND now all my fish are sick

braad

Beth -
I stopped the KickIch. Started Hypo. My salinity is down to 1.010 or so. One question though. While i was in the process of lowering the salinity i had finals and what not where i was away from my house so i wasnt able to do water changes. I lowered the salinity down to what i have it at how in about two and a half days. Is that still ok? Im assuming it is becuase its still that low to where the parasite wont be able to survive...but, i just figured id ask and make sure.