Bottom tank frame broken... NEED HELP!!

agent707

I Need some expert TANK advice pretty quick...
I'll try to summarize. I bought this complete 90 reef ready tank from a friend. While transporting it home, I must have cracked the bottom plastic frame. (wife noticed it and didn't tell me...
)
A few weeks later I discover the frame has shattered on the right side.
I quickly emptied the tank and inspected it. I only discovered a small stress crack on the front left side gass (See pictures).
I am wondering if
1) The tank is OK with this small stress crack? Once it is sitting flat, I'm thinking it will be OK. Tank was resting on left side and middle/front which caused the crack. Right side was not supporting the tank when I discovered it.
2) Can set the tank up sitting directly on the glass (without the plastic frame.) The plywood I put in the stand is perfectly flat (and strong).
I have cleaned all the silicon off the bottom of the tank and have cut a 3/4" piece of plywood and fit in snuggly in the tank stand (see pics).
Bottom right of tank. Was not resting on this part when I discovered.

Front left glass pain. from side

Front left glass pain from front

I want to set the tank on the plywood without the plastic frame.

I would appreciate if you "don't really know" to please keep your opinion, because My guess is as good as yours.
I really want to hear sound advice from someone with knowledge on tanks/glass.
Thanks much!

agent707

Well, I have the tank sitting up on the stand and it is perfectly flat. No rocking.
Unless I hear something (From the 177 viewing this forum???) pretty soon, I am going to start putting some water in it. Me and the wife both feel ok about it. But we'd feel much better with some advice.
If I do put water in it today, it'll only be about half full. I have had the live-sand/crushed coral stored in 2 - 5 gallon "sealed" salt buckets for 3 weeks now... Probably need to run it for a week or so with just this and do a water change before I add the rest of my stuff back.
Oh, I had a spare 55 gallon tank in the den which is where I put all the live rock and fish. It was where they were before I moved them to this new tank. Already had sand and water in it.
BTW, I got this complete setup for 500 bux. :) Came with 90 gal tank, sump, stand, lights (PC's which I trashed... I used my T5 hood I had on the 55.. MUCH better), live rock and 2 fish (Maroon clown and puffer). KILLER deal.
Here is is setup.
The NICE live rock came from my old tank with T5 lighing. The crappy rock came from his (PC's just don't cut it). Had about half and half. about 70 pounds each. So I've got about 140 total for it.

robdog696

Well I have some experience with both of your issues. I can not give you any diffinitive answers, but I can tell you what I've learned.
1. My 58g has a chip about the size of yours in the same exact place, but on the opposite side. I have had it up and running for over a year.
2. A stress fracture is very different from a chip. Stress fractures are almost guaranteed to grow over time.
3. I cracked the trim on my 125 when moving it. I learned that the trim is meant to reinforce the edges of the tank. Tanks with trim are not siliconed as heavily as trimless acrylic tanks, and they do not have the top acrylic piece to offer added frame support. This trim is almost impossible to replace, as it considered a "proprietary" item.
4. It was recommended to me by the manufacturer that I would have better luck using gorilla glue to repair the trim than I would have removing the trim.
I know this is not what you want to hear, but I am not an expert. I would not set up this system. But you only know if you try. Good luck.

agent707

Originally Posted by Robdog696
http:///forum/post/2602242
2. A stress fracture is very different from a chip. Stress fractures are almost guaranteed to grow over time.
Yes, this is my biggest concern. I haven't put any water in yet, but I think I am going to go ahead and set it back up. I priced a new bowl with overflows. $300 + tax and I don't want to go there.
Good thing about this crack is it's in a highly visible spot so should it worsen, I will notice.
I've already discussed this with wife, if I have to replace this thing, I am going with a 24 deep tank (120). So I'd rather get some more use with what I have.
I do appreciate your post. Thanks.

[hr]
Question for all else. Has any one had a tank suffer a stress crack before and the tank still usable?