Brand New Fluval FX5 filter >Slow Flow!!!

shawna1972

Hi Everyone! starting tank over have a question
I just started up my Fluval FX5 today "brand new"and I don't think it's working right it's so slow "flow" wise I thought this thing had great flow! I don't really know what it's compared to? I have a Koralia 3 and 4 and this thing seems like the #3 can't describe it better is it the double nozzle? is their a mod for this?
does anyone else have this problem? I have chem pur 40oz in first basket, nothing in the middle and fluval bio rings in the last compartment no filter pads other than the pads that came with the unti.
my tank is 125 gallon 72" long 18" high if I turn off my #3 and #4 Koralia and skimmer I cant even see the surface of the water move?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

soulsigma

Originally Posted by shawna1972
http:///forum/post/2993073
Hi Everyone! starting tank over have a question
I just started up my Fluval FX5 today "brand new"and I don't think it's working right it's so slow "flow" wise I thought this thing had great flow! I don't really know what it's compared to? I have a Koralia 3 and 4 and this thing seems like the #3 can't describe it better is it the double nozzle? is their a mod for this?
does anyone else have this problem? I have chem pur 40oz in first basket, nothing in the middle and fluval bio rings in the last compartment no filter pads other than the pads that came with the unti.
my tank is 125 gallon 72" long 18" high if I turn off my #3 and #4 Koralia and skimmer I cant even see the surface of the water move?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Humm I have been using mines since Jan 09 and no problems

1)Make sure that the purge valve is closed(vertical) position, and its rubber cap cap is secured in place by the lock nut.
2) Make sure all top lid fasteners are well tightened.
3) The in and out valves are fully open (valve levers should be vertical)
4) Make sure that before you plug your pump in that you have 2 gallons of water in the canister.
Also check your tray and make sure that you do not have the media packed to tight as this will restrict your water flow also especially when using media bags.
Now plug you filter in, once you do it will go through its automatic priming sequence. By this I mean the pump will run for 2 minutes to fill the canister, then it will stop to evacuate air from the filter canister, the the pump will start again. It will remain on and should run continuously until it is unplugged. This sequence will repeat itself every 24hrs

This should do it for you, the FX5 is very powerful as it pumps 924gph, the down side is you absolutely must rinse the prefilter pads once and sometimes twice a week by keep some extra ones on hand you will be able to swipe them out. Hope this work for ya let me know.

shawna1972

First off thank you for the reply! And yes I did all those steps.
I have it on my 125 72" long tank and nozzle pointing down at a 90 angle maybe this is why I see no movement at top? it's about 3" under water >the return.I also have about 40oz of chemi-pure in top basket which is a little to much I think but lfs
told me its ok
40 oz does 175-200 gallon tank I thought I would just take some out and no problem but they said you cant
alter the bag
Also I have nothing in my tank right now all new water,new sand
My old live rock"doing great" has been sitting in my qt for months ready to be put back into tank.> had to start tank over due to Ich outbreak over 9 months ago. So everything is New including equipment. Got rid of sump > went with Fx5 lol Sump was great but had to many problems with PO here and my tank not drilled so This was my decision. I just hope FX5
will perform like the reviews "I've read" but I am not happy with flow.
Do fluval Bio rings go in last chamber on bottom? How do you have yours set up?
Again thanks so much!
Bang Guy has been trying to give me advice on starting back up and I'm overloading him with questions lol "He's a busy guy"! he's helped me so much! I'd figure I would post on Boards but Im not getting to much feedback"
anyways Thank You
& my guru Guy

Shawna