Brooklynella Epidemic - Thoughts?

ntracy

Hello,
I've had a total of 7 clowns now, all of whom died of brooklynella. I've tried the formalin baths. I've tried the quarantine (but blame myself because i didn't do it right)... but it seems as though I have a brooklynella epidemic on my hands.
I'm posting this because I want to know the causes of brooklynella. I know most of the treatments, and the formalin baths have prolonged their lives, but only by a few days.
What do you think could be causing this?
34 Gallon Red Sea Max (running 3 months - Corals flourishing)
Temp: 82
Salinity: 1.021
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 480
Alkalinity: 10
Phosphate: 0.25
I have other fish that are doing fine. I have a spotted mandarin goby (I keep a constant supply of live copepods in the tank) a copperband butterfly, and a baby hippo tang (I know, he'll outgrow the tank, I'm setting up a 92 right now). All of the fish are doing well. I have been soaking their food in garlic. I feed them frozen spirulina and brine. None of them show signs of ich, although I am sure it's in the tank because the tang had it for a while. It's a small novel to explain how I treated them for ich, but suffice it to say that my 34g didn't see any salinity changes or very harsh chemicals, aside from a single dose of ich attack and I did only one dose because my goniopora started to shrivel up... he's happy now though.
Thoughts?

ntracy

Also, I have a green-bubble-tip anemone in excellent health (Gorgeous colors, full tentacles) and none of the clowns have hosted them. All of the clowns I've owned have been ocellaris or percula.

kellenr

Originally Posted by ntracy
http:///forum/post/2675408
Also, I have a green-bubble-tip anemone in excellent health (Gorgeous colors, full tentacles) and none of the clowns have hosted them. All of the clowns I've owned have been ocellaris or percula.
False & Trues wont host a bubble tip. (Well maybe extremely rarely), those are for Maroons and Clarkii's. You need a Long Tentacle Anemone to have the best chance of them hosting. My ocellaris clowns took about 3 months and finally hosted the LTA. I have a Condy, BTA & LTA. As long as they're on opposite sides of the tank and don't get near each other you can have more than 1 anemone species, just keep an eye on your tank, they can move pretty quickly if they want to. Mine have stayed planted in the general same area as I footed them in.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Brooklynella is a parasite, most common to clown fish, but can be passed on to other fish. Your LFS stock has a problem. If you QT the fish from the get-go, and then start the formalin baths as soon as you get the fish, they should be fine. The procedure is detailed in the FAQ Thread.

ntracy

Hey Beth,
Is there a non-formalin alternative? All of my other fish are doing good. Do you think it would make a difference if I let time pass? If it's a fish disease, would the others carry it even though it's not affecting them?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
In my book, there is never a non-QT alternative for new fish. If you do not QT new fish, its a matter of time before you have a problem.
If your current fish have no problem, then no need to treat them. Brook can remain specific to infected fish without getting passed on to other fish in the same tank.
However, if I were you, I'd start using a QT for new fish coming in. If you decide to get more clowns from the same LFS, then QT them, then immediately go ahead and do the formalin dips. There is no real effective alternative to treating brook. The treatment entails baths, not medicating the QT. If you do the treatments as I detail in the FAQ, it will work.
Now, are you sure you're dealing with brook? Symptoms?

ntracy

They develop a white filmy substance on their bodies and refuse to eat... the go into something of a trance, too, and seem to focus in one direction, swimming with the current, breathing faster and faster until eventually they die.
The formalin baths have been excellent and really prolonged their lives. My only question is how often should I give them the baths and for how long? I've done it once a day in a tub of tank water for 30 mins with a heater and airstone. Should I put a powerhead in the bath too?

bioneck47

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2676420
In my book, there is never a non-QT alternative for new fish. If you do not QT new fish, its a matter of time before you have a problem.
If your current fish have no problem, then no need to treat them. Brook can remain specific to infected fish without getting passed on to other fish in the same tank.
However, if I were you, I'd start using a QT for new fish coming in. If you decide to get more clowns from the same LFS, then QT them, then immediately go ahead and do the formalin dips. There is no real effective alternative to treating brook. The treatment entails baths, not medicating the QT. If you do the treatments as I detail in the FAQ, it will work.
Now, are you sure you're dealing with brook? Symptoms?
See ntracy, having a QT is essential. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That does sound like brook. Notice any pealing of the white coat that forms?

ntracy

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2676656
That does sound like brook. Notice any pealing of the white coat that forms?
yes it seems to flake off a little. To date, only the clowns have gotten it. Are there any certain types of clowns less susceptible to brook? KellenR suggested a clarkii for my bubble-tip... are they generally hardier?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They can all get it. Any fish can get it. Its a parasite, not really "a disease".

kellenr

Originally Posted by ntracy
http:///forum/post/2676699
yes it seems to flake off a little. To date, only the clowns have gotten it. Are there any certain types of clowns less susceptible to brook? KellenR suggested a clarkii for my bubble-tip... are they generally hardier?
A maroon is the 1st bet probably for a BTA. But remember, you can't mix different species of clowns. ...I wouldn't add anything else until you get the ich and brook under control and gone.