Brookstone EcoSphere collection - desktop "tanks"

moraym

So i saw one of these at the store in the airport on the way home yesterday and almost bought one. They're kinda neat. Since my pic of them didn't come out, i'll post a few from their website.

moraym

You can see all the red shrimp in there. they're really active, it's pretty cool.
here's the official description:
EcoSphere is a calming balance of earth, water, air and life—all parts of a working self-sufficient ecosystem that’s much more than science; it’s an original work of art. Makes a unique gift for those who contemplate the mystery of life on our planet and enjoy the serenity of nature.
The delicate coexistence of animal and plant life (red shrimp, algae and microbes) thrives in the handblown glass sphere of seawater. It’s easy to care for—just provide sufficient light and enjoy the aesthetic blend of science and art, beauty and balance. This technology was developed by NASA scientists as part of a growing initiative to study our planet’s biosphere.

moraym

The store sign says all they need is light and they'll live for two years minimum, and with good light some have lived up to ten years.
and to think, I can't keep my tank looking nice for a week without some maintenance, and these things are 100% sealed and are alive for two years.
Anyways, they're kinda quaint, I almost bought one, but didnt want to shake it to much on the way home. Thought maybe someone would be interested in the concept, especially since NASA studied it, there goes some more money.

lionfish12

I do tht with my gold fish bowl. Just a shake once in a while. I cant find out why all my gold fish die?????

entice59

i saw this in vegas, it was after the reef exhibit at mandalay bay, they were outrageously priced but i was curious about hwo they would survive for so long.